The EOS M3 represents a camera category that tries to do away with bulk and excessive size, offering instead plenty of photographic capability and flexibility in a body that can be more easily transported than a digital SLR. At the same time, it aims to appease existing users of Canon’s digital SLR ecosystem by offering a means to use their digital SLR lenses with the smaller body. Put simply, it’s a versatile camera, and one that we think is a ton of fun to use.
Advanced Compact Digital Cameras
Canon’s PowerShot SX530 HS may look and feel rather clunky, but it’s a versatile camera that packs a massive zoom lens and some good ease-of-use features. We like to call it an all-round camera, simply because you can use it for portraits (people and flowers), landscapes, and super-zoomed close-ups of distant objects.
Samsung's NX500 mirrorless camera is a rare unit. It possesses an almost impeccable balance of wonderful picture quality that will please experienced photographers, along with a control layout and menu system that will appeal to users making the leap to a more manual-capable camera.
It may not be a large and bulky digital SLR, but the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II is a heavy hitting camera that's designed especially for those of you who desire advanced controls -- controls of the sort that can tailor almost every single aspect of your photographs before you even transfer them to a computer.
With a 42x optical zoom lens, Canon's PowerShot SX520 HS is greatly capable of bringing distance objects very close. Consider it if you want a camera to take on holidays, or simply if you just want a versatile everyday camera to capture moments with family, friends, pets and wildlife.
How small can an interchangeable lens camera get before the benefits of being able to change lens are outweighed by the relatively cramped nature of the body? That’s what we kept thinking as we used the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5, which is a Micro Four Thirds camera with a body that’s no bigger than a typical compact camera. It's certainly not the first small, mirrorless camera we've seen, but it's the smallest we've held so far that uses a standard mount and retains physical controls.
Mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras from Nikon and Canon haven’t set the world on fire. Products from the likes of Olympus, Fujifilm, Sony, and Panasonic have all made the category a threat to traditional digital SLRs, the market in which Nikon and Canon are strongest, and now the two companies are playing catch-up. Can the Nikon 1 V3 claw back some ground?
You'd be forgiven for thinking Panasonic's latest gadget is a smartphone. It's a slim rectangle with a touchscreen and LTE connectivity.
If you're focused on fashion and love selfies, Sony has a camera for you.
The Leica T is the type of camera that can make you feel underdressed. It will make you kick off your Air Max sneakers in favour of some fresh Julius Marlow boots. It will make you ditch polo shirts for tucked-in button-downs, and it will make you want to find a proper-fitting pair of pants. You'll feel like a million bucks when you hold this camera in your hands, but the downside is that you almost have to be made of that much in order to afford it.
Panasonic is making sure that its new high-end cameras have the ability to capture ultra-high definition (or 4K) video. We first saw this with the Lumix DMC-GH4, and it now continues with the release of the more mainstream Lumix DMC-FZ1000. It makes sense since the company also has a foot in the big-screen TV market, and it’s a good way to enable people to get the absolute most out of those TVs at this infant stage of the 4K roll out.
Sony's a5000 is one of the smallest and lightest interchangeable lens cameras that you will find, and these are its big drawcards. Its body is not bigger than a typical mid-to-high-end compact camera, yet it contains a lens mount that can accept different types of focal lengths depending on your needs.
Samsung’s NX mini camera is true to its name by cramming interchangeable lenses, an in-built flash and a rotating 180 degree screen into the kind of body familiar to a compact camera.
Features previously reserved for high-end cameras have found their way into the new compact camera headlining Sony's range, the RX100 III.
Samsung proudly showcased its next generation of products in Bali at the Samsung Forum 2014. On display was a curved television that had UHD resolution, a new mirrorless camera, the line up of powerful Pro tablets and much, much more.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Is Panasonic's CM1 a camera or a smartphone?
- Sony's perfume bottle camera is aimed at selfie addicts
- Samsung NX mini interchangeable lens camera (preview)
- When pro features go compact: Sony’s RX100 III point-and-shoot camera
- Sony unveils 24.3MP mirrorless flagship
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCWeb/Mobile Developer (Android)WA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/Oracle) 160617/AP/025Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA / SQL) 160621/JP/224Asia
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCJava Developer with Oracle database experience | Defence intelligence | NV1ACT
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW