A cluttered registry can slow Windows to a crawl, but cleaning it effectively isn't easy. We put several registry cleaners to the test and offer tips to help you get your registry down to size and improve your PC's performance.
Desktop PCs - Tutorials
Upgrading your PC's RAM is one way to make your computer feel far more snappy. Here's how to do it.
Get more out of an old computer with a few easy-to-perform upgrades.
Like many Windows 8 users, I spend most of my time using Desktop mode, which affords me a more Windows 7-like experience.
Intel Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 CPUs have been around for over a year now, but some buyers still get stumped whenever they attempt to build their own systems and are forced to choose among the three. With the more recent Sandy Bridge architecture...
People often ask us which version of Windows they should purchase for their new PC build. Generally speaking Windows 7 Home Premium Edition has everything that most end users would need for normal day-to-day usage of their PC. There is no use in payi...
With all the many compelling reasons for a company to switch to Linux on the desktop, it's no wonder that businesses large and small are increasingly relying on the free and open source operating system.
Building your own PC may seem to be difficult or a waste of time but it has many advantages.
Keyboard shortcuts are wonderful time-savers but many of us are either too accustomed to the mouse or too lazy to get beyond Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.
With all the many reasons to use Linux today -- particularly in a business setting --it's often a relatively easy decision to give Windows the boot. What can be more difficult, however, is deciding which of the hundreds of Linux distributions out the...
Several keys on reader skyDX's keyboard stopped functioning. He asked the Desktops forum for help.
QUESTION: I want to use touch to control my Windows 7 Home Premium PC. Is it as simple as plugging in a touchscreen display? I'd also like to view a 3D image - will I need a new graphics card?
QUESTION: My Windows 7 PC plays audio through headphones but is unable to pick up sound from them. I've got a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi card and a Logitech USB phone/microphone. The drivers are up to date.
QUESTION My PC dual-boots Windows XP 32bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Every time I work in XP I lose all my restore points in Windows 7.
QUESTION: My Windows 7 Home Premium computer has a quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM. I've not found any advantage to using four cores. How can I use the processor more effectively and allocate different processes to the individual cores?
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Galaxy S7 hardware will come to the DragonBoard 820c computer
- Now you can try Microsoft's supersized Surface Hub before buying
- Samsung scraps a Raspberry Pi 3 competitor, shrinks Artik line
- Google wants to add AI to gadgets made using Raspberry Pi
- How to fix a limited connectivity problem on a Windows 7 PC
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Data Warehouse/ Statistical projectNSW
- FTProject Co-OrdinaterNSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- FTAgile Project ManagerACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer x 2NSW
- FTProduct Manager - FintechNSW
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security DomainVIC
- FTSoftware Tech Lead - C++ Back Office Trading SystemsNSW
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSenior Network Specialist - Internet Edge DatacentreVIC
- FTFull stack Developer | 3 mth ContractVIC
- CCChange AnalystQLD