As soon as Google Inc. announced it was working on the new Chrome operating system, questions arose over how the new OS will differ from the Android mobile OS, and whether it might spell the end of Android.
Desktop PCs - News
Google is already working with several companies to develop devices around the new Chrome OS, including Hewlett-Packard and Acer, the company said in a blog post late Wednesday.
Google's Chrome OS won't be an immediate threat to Windows, but it may force Microsoft to reinvent its operating system more quickly into a product that takes full advantage of the Web and can move more nimbly across devices and form factors, analyst...
Google's entry into the operating system market poses a long-term threat to Microsoft, analysts who cover the maker of Windows said today.
Google's announcement Tuesday that it is developing an open-source operating system raised questions among privacy advocates about the amount of personal data Google will be able to collect.
As Google Inc. acknowledges that its engineers are working on an operating system for netbooks and PCs, analysts say it's the company in the best position to take on Microsoft Corp. and its vaunted Windows software.
Apple should be nervous about Google's move into the operating system market, some analysts said today. Others, however, argued that Apple executives won't lose a second of sleep.
The coming Google Chrome Web-centric operating system could be a big boon for telecom vendors and wireless operators looking for another way to drive demand.
Google plans to announce within the next day or so the names of PC makers in Taiwan and China that have already signed on to work with its new Chrome operating system, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Google is developing an open-source operating system targeted at Internet-centric computers such as netbooks and will release it later this year, the company said Wednesday.
Just more than a year after it launches, Windows 7 will account for nearly half of all the client operating systems Microsoft ships to corporate users, according to forecasts by IDC.
Microsoft will finish Windows 7 a week from today and declare the operating system ready for "release to manufacturing," several Web sites have reported.
Demand for the next generation DRAM chip, DDR3 (double data rate, third generation), has spiked recently as systems makers turn to it for increased power efficiency and performance.
Psystar, the Mac clone maker embroiled in a legal dispute with Apple, asked a federal judge last week to dismiss its bankruptcy case, saying that it had been unable to reach a payment agreement with its law firm.
Microsoft will offer a multi-license "family pack" for Windows 7, according to a pair of bloggers who cite details in the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) of a recently-leaked build.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- How to fix a limited connectivity problem on a Windows 7 PC
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Microsoft Surface Studio teardown reveals Intel and ARM chips inside
- You wear Zotac's new gaming PC on your back
- This may be the most expensive 'free' computer you've ever seen
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- CCProcurement AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Travel and Expense Management SystemQLD
- CCDevOps Lead - Agile/AWSVIC
- FTJunior Design Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCPeoplesoft SpecialistACT
- TPICT - Contracts and Commercial AnalystQLD
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire DevelopersQLD
- CCMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC
- CCAccessability TesterACT
- CCNetwork EngineerACT
- CCWebMethod DeveloperSA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTTechnical Account ManagerQLD
- TPProject Manager - SAPQLD
- FTManager - Field ServicesVIC
- CCNetwork Design EngineerACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Financial Planning - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- PTVBA Analyst Programmer - Permanent / Part Time (3 days per week)QLD
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- TPProject Manager with a Development BackgroundQLD