Nearly 650 million households will have broadband Internet service by 2013, but the growth rate of high-speed access will slow between now and then, research company Parks Associates predicted on Tuesday.
"When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds" -- Will Rogers
The newly formed Wireless Gigabit (WiGig) Alliance looks likely to play a big role in the future of Wi-Fi, but its high-speed technology probably won't squeeze out wired multimedia networks.
Google's new Secure Data Connector could result in a plethora of tie-ups between its productivity software and a range of enterprise applications and data sources.
The federal government -- on the back of its NBN announcement -- also released a regulatory reform discussion paper to seek public comment on ways to improve telecommunications regulations.
3 Mobile will expand its roaming coverage and introduce new roaming pricing for users from mid April.
The Federal Government this morning unveiled its plans for the National Broadband Network (NBN). Spanning eight years and projected to cost $43 billion with split ownership between the Australian government and private telcos, the network will provide 100 megabits per second (Mbps) Internet connections to 90 per cent of Australian homes.
Despite criticism the big ISPs have shunned the Federal Government's Internet filter trial, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy, has declared Optus has jumped on-board.
With the leaking of the supposed Australian Communication & Media Authority's (ACMA) URL “blacklist”, further doubts have been raised over whether such a list, and even Web Filtering itself, can successfully achieve the federal government's goal of protecting Australians from undesirable content like child pornography.
The secretive Internet filter blacklist held by the communications watchdog ACMA has been leaked, revealing the government has understated the amount of banned Web pages by more than 1000.
The Australian communications watchdog has modified its complaints handling process following the forced removal of a link to a prohibited Web site.
Well, at least the issue is not unpaid taxes this time -- but Vivek Kundra, the brand-new, first-ever federal CIO after just a few days on the job is already on a leave of absence after the office of the Washington, D.C., CTO was raided by federal agents. Kundra had been the District's CTO before President Barack Obama appointed him the nation's CIO. In other news, Google peeved privacy advocates by announcing a behavioral advertising program and separately saying it is testing a new service that will transcribe voice-mail messages and make them searchable.
As announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Telstra's Next G network has recently been upgraded to support download speeds of up to 21 megabits per second (Mbps), making it the fastest mobile broadband network in the world. To take advantage of these new speeds, Telstra has released the Turbo 21 Modem — a mobile broadband modem that connects via a USB port.
Only a small percentage of the Internet supports the emerging protocol IPv6 despite the technology being mandated by the US government.
Telstra today announced sweeping upgrades to its national Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC), or cable, network which will see 1.8 million Melbourne homes receive Internet access speeds of up to 100Mpbs by years' end.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Broadband growth seen slowing, shifting to Asia
- WiGig fast wireless may change Wi-Fi, home networks
- Google secure data tool ties Apps to company data
- Telco insiders say regulatory reform raises questions for Telstra
- 3 to allow Next G mobile broadband roaming from mid April
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCPortfolio AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW