At last, Bing has arrived. We tested a preview release of Microsoft's new search/decision engine, previously called Kumo, to see how well it compares. Here's a breakdown of its new features and how well they perform.
Broadband - Reviews
On the surface, the Optus Wireless Broadband E1762 USB Modem doesn't provide any radical improvements over the E169 USB modem. However during testing we noticed better download speeds and a more reliable connection.
Google is mapping the world one street at a time.
Fujitsu’s LifeBook P8020 (3.5G) sits at the premium end of the lightweight notebook market and is aimed at anyone who works while travelling. It’s a 12.1in model that weighs 1.4kg, yet it packs a DVD burner, an Intel Core 2 DUO CPU, 2GB of RAM and a ...
The Wireless Broadband InZone Modem from Optus provides a 3G modem, 802.11g wireless router and 4-port Ethernet switch in one small, portable package. You can share your wireless broadband service with multiple computers at home or on the road, but O...
If all you want is a basic ADSL2+ modem with an Ethernet switch, and you aren’t looking for a fancy all-in-one wireless modem/router to distribute your broadband connection, the Linksys by Cisco ADSL2+ Modem Router AG300 is for you. It’s relatively s...
The USB Slimline Modem is the latest addition to Optus' range of wireless broadband modems. Using the same Huawei E169 7.2 megabits per second (Mbps) hardware as Virgin Mobile's USB modem, the Optus USB Slimline Modem provides good value. However it ...
The engin oneHUB is a wireless router, ADSL2+ modem and telephony device all rolled into one unit — hence the name. It's available to purchase for $99 when you sign up with an engin ADSL2+ plan, but it will also work with non-engin ADSL2+ plans...
As mobile broadband prices fall and data allowances rise, it has become a cost-effective option for many travellers, or even those who aren't able to get fixed line services at home. Virgin Mobile is one of the cheapest telcos in Australia, and its m...
Belkin’s N+ Wireless Storage Router (F5D8235au4) is an attractive wireless router that's easy to use and has a useful set of features. Not only can it distribute your Internet connection across wired and wireless computers, it can also be used to sha...
The 3 Mobile Internet Key E160 is a wireless broadband USB modem that's easy to set up. It provides full access to Telstra's Next G HSDPA network when roaming outside 3 Mobile's coverage area.
Postbox, new e-mail software that's currently in beta, aims to restore control to unwieldy inboxes. While it offers some nice features, including faster searching and organization, as well as ties to online services such as Picasa, Postbox can be a c...
The Web is full of snoopers, spyware, and people who want to steal your private information. IP Privacy ($45, 3-day free trial) can help protect you against them by helping you surf anonymously --; that is, hiding your IP address and other personal i...
If you rely on free video calls for work and for fun, and you need video-specific tools, such as three-way calling, consider ooVoo.
If you need to keep track of your mobile phone or broadband usage, the iiQuota iPhone app is a simple and attractive solution. Its $3.99 price tag is relatively high for an iPhone app, but it does support a range of providers.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Australian broadband speed ranking drops again despite NBN rollout
- Rowland says govt supressing unflattering NBN information
- nbn grows customer base, but suffers EBITDA loss
- [Updated] Labor has ruled out a Royal Commission into the NBN
- NBN: Labor to offer ‘greater proportion of fibre’, still not sold on FTTN
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce Project LeadQLD
- FTHTML DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- TPSecurity Controls Specialist - ISO 27002VIC
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsSA
- CCInteraction DesignerNSW
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- FTSocial Media Officer- SEO, mobile, analytics and reporting toolNSW
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- TPTechnical Support Officer (Unix/Linux, Windows and Mac)VIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- TPLevel 2/3 Desktop Support AnalystVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTTraining Lead | Up to $800 per dayVIC
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)VIC
- CCArchitect/Senior Capacity Planner Network Engineering - TelcoVIC
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Mobile ApplicationsQLD
- CCSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- FTSCRUM Master / Project Manager, CX, Financial ServicesNSW