No-cost utilities and services can help you find, organize, and wrangle your media files--or enjoy some great video online.
Check out some of the great tech bargains we've rounded up.
Store your schoolwork, photos and other files on these cheap storage devices
Picking up the right tech products during the back to school period can be a daunting prospect for students and parents alike (and pity those who are both!) A computer and an Internet connection are essential for students, but you should also consider picking one or more storage devices, such as USB flash drive or an external hard drive. Portable storage devices are useful for taking work to school, and backing up assignments is a must if you want to avoid disaster.
Grab cheap printers, TVs and a free game on the way back to school
Christmas may be over, but that doesn't mean the savings are. With students shortly heading back to school, there are plenty of bargains to be found. We round up some of the best of the week, including dirt cheap mobile broadband, Google's first smartphone and a great ASUS notebook!
Bag yourself a bargain!
Google's introduction of free online storage for any type of file serves as a reminder that storing a gigabyte of data in the Internet cloud can vary in price from free to US$3.50 per, and that's just what Google charges its customers.
In the coming weeks, Google Docs users will be able to store more of their important files online, where they can access them easily and share them with others, according to a Tuesday post on The Official Google Blog.
When you're in front of your PC, waiting for something to transfer to removable media, that's when seconds feel like minutes, and minutes feel like hours.
LaCie's latest portable hard drive, the Rikiki, isn't named after the monkey from <i>The Lion King</i>. According to the company, Rikiki means "tiny" in French, and the name is certainly appropriate.
The Stora MS2110 is Netgear's simplest network-attached storage (NAS) device yet.
Western Digital's refreshed My Book Elite 2TB external hard drive offers intuitive backup options, 256-bit AES hardware encryption, and an e-ink capacity indicator. However, there are faster USB 2.0-based external hard drives that have passed through our Test Centre, and it doesn't offer any alternative connections like eSATA.
Western Digital's My Passport Essential SE is currently the only portable external hard drive to boast a whopping 1TB of storage space. Despite this, it is one of the smallest hard drives around and it is quite speedy, too.
The scoop: FreeAgent DockStar, by Seagate, about $US100
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - SCOM/SCCM/PowerShellVIC
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCIT Performance Test AnalystACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk, Service Support- Remedy or SAP backgroundNSW
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCSharePoint EngineerACT