The federal government has warned Australians of a new "Masque Attack" which can compromise Apple devices via malicious apps.
Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 is a suite of tools that combines the anti-malware and anti-phishing features of Norton Internet Security 2010 (NIS), with the PC tune-up tools of Norton Utilities.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free adds a useful extra layer of protection to your PC, at no extra cost.
Do you know how to guard against scareware? How about Trojan horse text messages? Or social network data harvesting?
Kaspersky is expanding its scope by offering Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac, its first security program for the Apple Mac. But how much does the Mac need anti-virus, and does it work?
Rootkits, a type of stealth technology used by malware malefactors, attempt to hide in the dark corners of an infected PC and evade detection. A new post out today from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center shines the spotlight on the evil tools.
If you're concerned about the privacy implications of reading digital books, take a look at a nice guide put up yesterday by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 ($69.95 for a one-year, three-PC licence) offers strong traditional malware detection, but is dragged down by negatives like poor behavioural scans.
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 (SDAV) blends PC Tools' previous well-known anti-spyware tool PC Tools Spyware Doctor with the anti-virus capabilities of a PC Tools AntiVirus engine.
BitDefender Antivirus ($44.92 for a one-year, three-PC licence) holds its own at dealing with malware, but its interface isn't especially user-friendly. Overall the program earned fourth place in our roundup of stand-alone antivirus programs.
Avira's AntiVir Premium Edition lacks an advanced malware detection feature used by top programs, and it could use a smoother interface. The program earned a seventh-place ranking in our current stand-alone antivirus roundup.
Kaspersky's pairs competent proactive protection with below-average signature detection, and a strong feature set with an at-times annoying user experience.
Most security programs use a single antivirus engine, but the German-made G Data (US$25 for a one-year, single-PC license) uses two separate engines: BitDefender and Avast. That double coverage may have helped it rack up an impressive 99.95 percent block rate for traditional, signature-based detection of known malware, a rate better than that of any other app we tested. It was likewise strong at blocking annoying adware, running up a 99.8 percent score, and these strengths helped it earn top billing
Symantec's Norton AntiVirus ($60 for a one-year, single-PC license) offers some terrific extra features and a polished user interface. But subpar performance in one detection category prevented it from capturing the top spot in our chart of stand-alone antivirus programs.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Digital BA (iOS / Android)NSW
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCGuidewire Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCSenior Network Engineer - Voice And DataVIC
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia