Good Gear Guide was a guest of Samsung Australia at the Samsung Regional Forum 2015 in Thailand, a tradeshow dedicated to the range of next-generation products coming to Australia and the Asia Pacific.
AV Enthusiast Centre
Across Samsung’s entire television and audio range was one clear trend. Televisions, computer monitors, sound bars and even sound systems from Samsung will all curve on the basis of improved performance.
Samsung is liquidating its stock of 3D glasses for its 2010 range of 3D TVs -- the first generation of 3D models which included the excellent Series 7 LED, Series 7 plasma, and $10000 Series 9 LED -- and giving them away for free to anyone willing to wait through a phone queue of bargain hunters.
The Contour+, from extreme sports video camera company Contour, is a tough and compact camera that records Full HD video at a variety of quality settings and frame rates. It has the potential to be an indispensable tool for anyone looking to record their sporting endeavours, and we’re pleased to report that it does its job near-perfectly.
Major smartphone manufacturer HTC has made a 'strategic investment' in the Beats By Dr. Dre audio company -- partly responsible for celebrity-endorsed headphone and audio products like the Beats by Dr. Dre, PowerBeats, JustBeats by Justin Bieber, and Heartbeats by Lady Gaga. While it won't affect Beats' partnership with other companies like HP or Monster, the investment will mean 'sound innovations' on upcoming HTC smartphones and tablets.
Panasonic, Samsung and Sony are collaborating on a universal standard for 3D TV glasses, working with XPAND 3D to bring out active-shutter glasses that will work on several kinds of 3D TVs from each of the brands. Production of the new all-in-one glasses, which will incorporate several radio frequency (RF) and infrared (IR) standards used in superseded and current 3D TVs, will begin in September this year. Universally compatible glasses should be available for consumers to purchase sometime in 2012.
Bose recently updated its QuietComfort 15 and AE2i headphones with iPod- and iPhone-friendly cables with in-line remote controls. The QuietComfort 15 is the better and more expensive set of the two -- their very impressive active noise cancelling does an excellent job of removing constant ambient noises like air conditioning.
The Panasonic DMR-PWT500 fits a Blu-ray and DVD player into a personal video recorder with a HD tuner -- it’s like the Samsung BD-C8900, except with twin tuners. Like the BD-C8900 it’s quite stylish and has some nifty extra features, but you’re paying a premium for the convenience of having several functions in the one device.
The Yamaha BD-S671 is a very well built Blu-ray player with a basic feature-set. It doesn't have the diverse range of Internet and video-on-demand gubbins that you can find in Blu-ray players from LG, Sony or Samsung (and Panasonic, to an extent), but it has some network capabilities and we can't fault its Blu-ray or DVD picture quality as well as its interface or design.
The Bose AE2i headphones are an update designed to appeal to the Apple crowd, with an in-line volume control and multifunction button that works with iPhones, iPods and MacBooks alike.
If you're buying a 3D TV, you may as well have some good 3D movies to show on it. We've watched quite a few 3D movies since the format's debut last year, and these ten are our top picks. They all boast great Full HD image quality and good 3D effects -- nothing too unrealistic and no ghosting, just some high quality stereoscopic tri-dimensional fun. We make no promises as to the quality of the movies' plot lines, though.
Apple laptop and desktop computers, digital cameras and TVs are just a few of the products attracting significant savings at a three-hour-long JB Hi-Fi 'Friends and Family' sale being held at the retailer's stores tonight.
The Sony BDP-S580 is the best Blu-ray player that Sony makes. The only thing that makes it better than the $50 cheaper BDP-S480, though, is its integrated Wi-Fi networking -- something we don't think should come at an extra price. If you're willing to pay the extra, though, you'll be pleased to know that the Sony BDP-S580 is just as competent and full of extra features as its cheaper siblings.
The Sony BRAVIA KDL-55HX925 is, surprisingly, the smallest model in the company’s top range of LED-backlit LCD televisions. Despite being a 55in panel it’s dwarfed by the gargantuan 65in KDL-65HX925, which hasn’t been released yet but will command a price tag even higher than the 55in’s $4499. The BRAVIA KDL-55HX925 has every feature Sony has built into its 2011 range of LED TVs, so gadget geeks will be spoilt, but the HX925’s glossy design -- attractive and stylish though it is -- means it is not appropriate for watching in a bright room.
Bang & Olufsen has built its brand around extremely well constructed products with a signature look -- lots of brushed aluminium and glossy black accents. The new B&O EarSet 3i headphones are no different, and their sound quality is of a high standard as well. Electronic music junkies will be disappointed with the relative lack of bass from the EarSet 3i, but we’re guessing that’s a demographic that will baulk at the $295 price tag.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung is giving away free 3D glasses
- HTC joins with Beats By Dr. Dre
- Universal 3D glasses coming in 2012
- JB Hi-Fi three hour sale cuts prices on Apple Macs, TVs and cameras
- Pioneer creates 'Sound Wing' thin-speaker soundbar and speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW