ZJMedia WinAVI Video Converter
A nice little video conversion utility that creates VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs.
- Interface is elegant and simple, works as advertised
- Doesn't convert to iPod or any other MPEG-4/h.264 format
WinAVI Video Converter works as advertised, although to get rid of the free demo version's watermarks you'll need to shell out for the full version. Our only caveat is that if you work with video often, you might be happier in the long run with something more full-featured (if more expensive). Cyberlink's PowerDirector, for instance, supports more formats (including FLV and h.264), and offers video editing to boot.
Price$ 47.71 (AUD)
WinAVI Video Converter is a nice little video conversion utility that creates VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs.
We converted a number of files to WMV, AVI, RM (Realmedia) and MPEG-1/2 using the program and created a single DVD with nary a problem. However, it doesn't convert to iPod or any other MPEG-4/h.264 format.
As well as in effect counting out the world's number one media player, this aspect if WinAVI Video Converter is an issue in terms of disk space - h.264 can save you a lot of it compared to AVI, WMV and MPEG-1/2.
The other thing lacking in WinAVI Video Converter is FLV import (the favoured format of YouTube and may other video sites), for which you'll need to buy a different product from the company - WinAVI FLV Converter.
The WinAVI Video Converter interface is elegant and simple. Choose the destination format using the buttons on the main screen, choose a file to convert and its destination, then click ok and wait.
Unfortunately, though we had the latest version of Quicktime Lite installed, WinAVI Video Converter didn't recognise it. We went to the full version of Quicktime and WinAVI Converter still balked. This seemed odd, as it did seem to recognise other DirectShow filters such as Xvid.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementQLD
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork Deployment SpecialistNSW
- FTJunior Java DevelopersACT
- CCITSM Process AnalystNSW
- TPChange Manager | GovernmentQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer (12-month renewable Contract)Asia
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementWA
- FTSenior Manager, Digital Analytics and Customer InsightsNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- FT.Net CRM Dynamics Developer LeadVIC
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence & Federal Govt | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- TPSenior Full Stack .NET Developer - AngularJSNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Middleware SpecialistNSW
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- TPICT Security SpecialistVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTEnterprise Database Manager - Defence - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Mid/Junior levelVIC
- FTUX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCSolutions Architect (Big Data Concepts / Fraud) - Finance - Contract - SydneyCBDNSW
- FTInformation Security AdvisorNSW