ZumoDrive is a virtual hard drive that lives online.
- Works as a virtual hard drive
- Only 1GB of free storage
Of course, if all you want is online storage, you can get 25GB absolutely free from Windows Live SkyDrive. But it doesn't work as a virtual drive, which is the core of ZumoDrive's appeal.
Not enough space on your Apple iPhone for all your music? Need more storage for your tiny netbook hard drive? ZumoDrive promises to solve conundrums like these by keeping your files in the cloud but making them accessible in real-time, just as though they were local.
In other words, ZumoDrive is a virtual hard drive that lives online.
When you install the Windows or Mac client, ZumoDrive adds this virtual drive to your system, complete with prefab folders for music, photos, and documents. Just drag and drop your stuff to one of these folders (or create new ones — remember, the virtual drive works just like a regular drive) to copy it to the ZumoDrive cloud.
From there, you can access those files in any web browser or on any PC that has the ZumoDrive client installed. There's also a free iPhone app that lets you retrieve documents, photos, and music (which you can stream over 3G, EDGE, or Wi-Fi — a great workaround for memory-crunched devices). A Google Android version is coming soon.
You can get a free ZumoDrive account that includes 1GB of storage — enough for a smattering of files, but insufficient for most photo and MP3 collections. Plans start at US$2.99 per month for 10GB of storage and range up to $79.99 monthly for 500GB.
We really like the ZumoDrive service. It's a snap to set up and use, and it does solve the problem of storage-challenged PCs and iPhones.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCCitrix Systems EngineerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCSAP ABAP ProgrammersACT
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | Northern BeachesNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW