Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio
The Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio has an iPod dock, CD player and USB port
- Design, audio quality, USB port
- Price, no AUX connection or line-out port
The Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio looks good, sounds great and can play tracks from a range of sources. It's a little expensive, though.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio incorporates an iPod dock, CD player and a USB port for playing music stored on thumb drives. The two 15W speakers and two bass reflex ports provide good audio quality, and it's capable of receiving both FM and DAB+ radio.
The Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio features an attractive design with a white chassis and a wooden top. The fascia is uncluttered, with just the two-line display, CD tray and speakers. The button panel is found on the top of the Yamaha TSX-130 and lets you access a range of functions like alarms and audio source selection.
Audio can come from five sources: iPod, USB flash drive, CD, DAB+ digital radio and FM radio. The iPod dock and USB port are both located next to each other on the top panel. You can only play MP3 and WMA tracks via USB or CD, and you can't listen to DRM-protected tracks.
The Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio only recognises USB thumb drives with FAT16 and FAT32 file systems, so if you have a drive that uses NTFS or HFS+ you will have to reformat it.
We were disappointed to find no AUX connection for audio devices to connect to the Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio. There is also no line out-port, so you can't connect it to external speakers. We'd like to see both of these features given the price tag of $749.
The included remote control is well-designed and easy to use. The buttons are responsive and it offers full menu control for connected iPods. The Yamaha TSX-130's menu is a little complicated, but the instruction manual provides excellent illustrated step-by-step instructions.
The Yamaha TSX-130 uses a 1.4m indoor wire antenna, which is less obtrusive but harder to align than the extendable ones used by digital radios like the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) and the Sangean DPR-99. The initial scan was thorough and found all stations available in North Sydney.
The sound quality produced by the two 3in 15W speakers is very good. Bass was strong and resonant thanks to the two reflex ports to the rear of the Yamaha TSX-130. These act as echo chambers and work well to give the lower frequencies more kick, as we found in the thumping electronic bass of "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse.
There is excellent clarity for mid-range audio; this is especially noteworthy given that reflex ports often mask mid-range audio. The piano opening in Cold Chisel's "Khe Sanh" was accurately reproduced.
Treble is also good, but suffers from some distortion at peak volumes and very high notes. The Flower Duet from the opera Lakme is a challenge for any speaker with its high-pitched peaks, but the Yamaha TSX-130 digital radio handled it very well.
The Yamaha TSX-130 is a little more expensive than we'd like and has no auxiliary connection, but it's definitely worth a look. It is attractive and delivers very good audio, and as well as letting you listen to digital radio you can play tracks from iPods, CDs and USB thumb drives.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 2 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 3 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 4 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
- 5 Apple Watch review: saving time
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony's new whole-home speakers combine Google Cast and Apple AirPlay
- Google, Apple streaming devices shake up the TV market
- FreeviewPlus comes to Samsung TVs
- Watch Catch Up TV through the AerialBox T2100 set-top box
- New Apple TV might have a touch pad remote
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTPR & Corporate Affairs ManagerNSW
- FTMedia and Communications AdvisorACT
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCInternal Communications AdvisorNSW