XtremeMac Tango Studio
- Decent sound at lower volume levels, supports all iPods with dock connector, FM radio, auxiliary line-in
- Lack of bass, distortion at higher volume levels, no FM radio presets, no equaliser or basic audio settings.
The Tango Studio is a largely unremarkable iPod speaker system and the lack of FM radio presets is a strange omission.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
XtremeMac is known for quality iPod accessories and the company's latest is a compact room audio system. The Tango Studio boasts FM radio, an auxiliary input jack and a wireless remote control. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer enough in terms of both sound quality and features to be considered a wise purchase over many competitors.
The Tango Studio works with all iPods that have a dock connector including the latest iPod touch. If you don't have an iPod, XtremeMac has included a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input on the rear so any device with a standard headphone jack can be used. The design is plain but somewhat stylish and the blue LED display camouflaged by the black speaker grille is a nice touch. The controls are laid out across the top of the unit but are flat and require a firm press to operate.
Unfortunately, sound quality is average, though somewhat expected for a unit this size. The Tango Studio performs reasonably at low volume levels, but if you want to fill a room with sound, this isn't the unit for you. Distortion and crackling are evident at high volume. The highs are pleasing but they do occasionally become too bright. A distinct lack of bass is a main problem and with no equaliser presets (nor even basic bass or treble settings) on the unit itself, there aren't many options for correcting this – aside from adjusting the equaliser settings on your iPod.
An FM radio is also included, but bizarrely, there are no options for presetting your favourite audio stations. This means you'll have to search for a new station using the tune buttons. On the plus side, the radio does sound very reasonable.
The included remote offers access to all the Tango Studio's functions and its range is fairly good, operating at up to 15 metres from the unit during testing. The unit operates on AC power via the included AC adapter.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCLMS Administrator and e- Learning Development Project OfficerSA
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Portfolio Analyst - Risk and MetricsNSW
- FTPega Operation Engineer - CEPNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCOracle Application Administrator - July startACT
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- CCechnical Specialist ApplicationsACT
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD