XtremeMac Tango Studio
- Decent sound at lower volume levels, supports all iPods with dock connector, FM radio, auxiliary line-in
- Lack of bass, distortion at higher volume levels, no FM radio presets, no equaliser or basic audio settings.
The Tango Studio is a largely unremarkable iPod speaker system and the lack of FM radio presets is a strange omission.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
XtremeMac is known for quality iPod accessories and the company's latest is a compact room audio system. The Tango Studio boasts FM radio, an auxiliary input jack and a wireless remote control. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer enough in terms of both sound quality and features to be considered a wise purchase over many competitors.
The Tango Studio works with all iPods that have a dock connector including the latest iPod touch. If you don't have an iPod, XtremeMac has included a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input on the rear so any device with a standard headphone jack can be used. The design is plain but somewhat stylish and the blue LED display camouflaged by the black speaker grille is a nice touch. The controls are laid out across the top of the unit but are flat and require a firm press to operate.
Unfortunately, sound quality is average, though somewhat expected for a unit this size. The Tango Studio performs reasonably at low volume levels, but if you want to fill a room with sound, this isn't the unit for you. Distortion and crackling are evident at high volume. The highs are pleasing but they do occasionally become too bright. A distinct lack of bass is a main problem and with no equaliser presets (nor even basic bass or treble settings) on the unit itself, there aren't many options for correcting this – aside from adjusting the equaliser settings on your iPod.
An FM radio is also included, but bizarrely, there are no options for presetting your favourite audio stations. This means you'll have to search for a new station using the tune buttons. On the plus side, the radio does sound very reasonable.
The included remote offers access to all the Tango Studio's functions and its range is fairly good, operating at up to 15 metres from the unit during testing. The unit operates on AC power via the included AC adapter.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCSolution Architect / Data ArchitectNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical WriterACT