- Great bass response, Look Stylish
- Hard to get a good fit, Sound isn’t the greatest
They don’t sound the best, but if you’re after great bass, then the FS1s are in your ball park.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
You all know the story; in-ear phones are great, if you can get them to fit properly. While they generally sound pretty good, those who like their bass heavy just aren't covered here. Well, if you fall into that category, then XtremeMac's FS1 High Definition Earphones are exactly what you've been screaming out for.
XtremeMac, who has until recently stuck to iPod accessories such as FM transmitters and leather cases, has decided to delve into the headphone market and produce what they call "professional grade, full-spectrum audio" earphones. Well, we have to say from the outset that we wouldn't go that far; in fact, there are many other in-ear phones that sound much better than the FS1s for around about the same price. However, what the FS1 offers over the competition is excellent and rich bass response, which is quite an achievement for in-ear headphones.
Finished in a white and grey design which perfectly suits the iPod, the FS1's look quite awkward. Our fears were confirmed as soon as we attempted to place them in our ears. It seemed no matter what tips we used (the FS1 includes three different sized silicone tips as well as two foam tips) we couldn't get a proper seal. We ended up sticking with the standard silicone tips, but we still felt uncomfortable after long periods of use; the curved design of the buds didn't seem to help either.
In terms of sound quality, the FS1s aren't the greatest. The biggest disadvantage is that the sound for most part is very distant and the midrange is quite lacking; at times it sounds as though there is a large hole in the music. This isn't really what we were expecting from headphones in this price range. In saying this, they are very efficient; the desired listening volume doesn't have to be very loud at all.
Undoubtedly the best feature of these headphones is their bass response; full and sharp. For those who enjoy the low end sound, then you'll love what these are capable of. If you can get them to fit snugly and feel comfortable, you should be extremely happy with them, but audiophiles need not apply here. Included in the sales package of the FS1 is a convenient zip-up carry case, replacement tips and a handy wax cleaner.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
- B&W P5 headphones to become the ultimate luxury accessory
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW