Xtreamer media streamer
This media streamer offers one of the cheapest ways to watch compressed high-definition video files on your TV
- Inexpensive, extensive codec support, Internet connectivity
- Wireless dongle is optional, no hard drive included, mediocre interface
The Xtreamer media streamer is a low-cost option for anyone who wants to play their collection of digital video files collection on their big screen TV. It's not as feature-packed as some other media streamers we've tested, but it's a good choice given its low price.
Price$ 189.90 (AUD)
The Xtreamer is an inexpensive media streamer that lets you display standard- and high-definition video, audio and photos from your PC on your television. It functions well over a wired Ethernet network and plays files over USB; wireless networking and an internal hard drive are optional extras.
The Xtreamer media streamer is well constructed, using a combination of painted metal and black plastic. It was smaller than we expected. It's shorter and shallower than a DVD case will easy hide away near your television or in a home theatre setup. We were a little confused as to how to orientate the Xtreamer — promotional pictures show it standing up, but this blocks airflow to the internal fan. The fan is quite noisy, though its speed can be adjusted.
The rear of the Xtreamer is where all the action happens. Two host USB ports can handle an external hard drive or the optional 802.11n wireless adapter, while a smaller USB slave port allows direct PC connection. Composite video and analog audio ports mean older devices can be connected, while optical digital audio and an HDMI 1.3 jack allows a high-def TV to easily display 1080p content. The package is rounded off with a 10/100Mbps Ethernet port.
After powering on the media player, a simple menu system appears. It's responsive and easy to navigate using the included remote control, but it isn't the prettiest we've seen. We didn't encounter problems when setting up a wired network connection, nor when using the 802.11n adapter (RRP: $29.90) to connect to a high-speed wireless network.
Playing video, audio and photo content off an external USB hard drive was flawless. We streamed a high-definition, 1080p MKV file without any noticeable buffering or stuttering issues. Picture quality is as good as we expected, with crisp detail and smooth frame rates at the highest resolution. Although we didn't test it, we'd expect playback off an internal hard drive — the Xtreamer accepts 2.5in SATA drives — to be equally seamless. When streaming files over a wireless network the Xtreamer took a few seconds to buffer, but there were no slip-ups during playback.
Codec support is extensive. Almost any commonly use format should play successfully on the Xtreamer — we tested MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV, MPG, VOB and AVCHD containers with no issues. The Xtreamer also has limited Internet access, letting you access YouTube videos, Picasa Web albums, some streaming radio services and other content. While it doesn't hold a candle to a properly set up media centre PC, it's a useful feature. The Xtreamer can be purchased from a range of resellers — we got ours from HDCity.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTSAP Ariba Consultant/ManagerVIC
- CCSr. SQL Server DBANSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCPorfolio Value Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT