First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
XFX GeForce 7800 GT
- High Speeds, Good performance
- Nothing to speak of.
An all round good performer, the XFX GeForce 7800 GT is well worth considering when purchasing a new graphics card.
Price$ 605.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 5 stores)
When nVidia launched the GeForce 7800 GTX, several months ago, its stellar performance blew us away--but so did its scary price. The latest nVidia chip is the 7800 GT, which features great performance for power users on a slightly tighter budget.
To make the 7800 GT, nVidia slowed down its 7800 GTX chip and turned off a few pipes. But card vendor XFX has sped things up by slightly overclocking its PCI Express-based GeForce 7800 GT board, allowing it to keep pace with a previously tested 7800 GTX reference card, and to easily outrun a high-end ATI Radeon X850 Platinum Edition card.
In our Doom 3 test, the 7800 GT posted 62 frames per second at 1600 by 1200 resolution, close to the 7800 GTX's score of 64 fps and well ahead of the X850's 45 fps. With antialiasing on, the 7800 GT mustered 41 fps; the 7800 GTX and the X850 managed 42 and 31 fps, respectively.
At the same resolution but with antialiasing turned off, tests with Far Cry produced similar results: The 7800 GT achieved 77 fps; the 7800 GTX, 80 fps; and the X850, 67 fps. With antialiasing switched on, the 7800 GT reached 47 fps, while the 7800 GTX managed 50 fps and the X850 hit 17 fps.
If those frame rates mean something to you, the 7800 GT is well worth considering.
Latest News Articles
- Amazon says $9.99 e-books will boost revenue, including for Hachette
- Top five budget smartphones money can buy (Part I, 2014)
- iPhone gets first free app for encrypting voice calls
- Zero-day flaws found in Symantec's Endpoint Protection
- Twitter more than doubles its sales, stock soars
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 5 How to pick the right size TV for your living room
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- PC Components View all »
- $65 free shipping
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Notebooks View all »
- Servers & Storage View all »
- Software and Services View all »