- Extremely cute, lots of doggy functions
- Optical sensors are a bit buggy
A fun addition to any household, the automatic mode really makes it a lively toy to have. Great fun
Price$ 124.95 (AUD)
The Robopet is the third in WowWee's animated robot series, and it is by far the smallest. The miniature canine is about the size of a large shoe, but don't be fooled by his diminutive size, the Robopet offers a ton of fun functionality, and makes a great effort at replicating a regular pet.
The best part about the Robopet is the movement, which is light years ahead of the other two products. The Pet actually moves at a reasonable pace, and can cover ground quickly. Turning is still a bit of a hassle, the pet must rotate on the spot, rather than actually walking diagonally; but it was relatively easy to send the pet where you needed him.
The controls aren't quite as intuitive as previous models, thanks to the remote-control style controller. Arrows keys are used to control movement, but tricks and other functions utilise a queuing system, whereby a number of key presses corresponds to a specific action with a separate button is used to execute the command. It takes a little getting used to at first, but once you've got the hang of it, it doesn't take too long to set up commands.
The array of tricks at the Pet's disposal is quite impressive, and suitably doggy, with options to roll over, sit, scratch, and even relieve himself on any poor passer-by foolish enough to get too close. The sky is the limit. He even has a similar functionality to the RoboSapien, in that he can right himself if knocked over.
What really gives the Robopet character however is his automatic mode. When left unattended, he will wander around, exploring his environment and performing random tricks. By hitting the good dog and bad dog buttons as he does these tricks, you can train him to perform the way you want. It is brilliant fun just letting him go off on his own and seeing what he chooses to do. You can even program him to perform a specific set of functions in order. Put on a show for all your friends!
There is also a guard mode, where he will sit silently, and use his optical sensors to detect movement. When he spots something, he jumps up and makes a lot of noise. It may not scare away a burglar face to face, but it may send your younger brother or sister running.
Unfortunately we found the optical sensors came up a little lacking. The manual claims that the Pet has optical and edges sensors, that stop it running into things and off table edges. We found they did neither however. We repeatedly made the Pet run off the edge of our desks, and he got stuck on doors numerous times. The Robosapien seemed to have little trouble with such things, but then again he is an all powerful robot and the Pet is a lowly dog.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- IBM's hub for wearables could have you out of the hospital faster
- HoloLens Spectator View makes it easier to show off AR creations
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
- Lenovo's Yoga A12 Android 2-in-1 has futuristic touch panel keyboard
- Amazon Echo's new 'Computer' wake word lets you fulfill your Star Trek fantasies
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA Engineer with some hands-on knowledge of scripting.NSW
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- TPFunctional AnalystVIC
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTFront End Web DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW