Western Digital My Passport Elite
A fast and cheap 500GB external drive.
- Fast read/write speeds, cost-effective, runs cool and quiet
- Design is slightly dull, Google bloatware, the MioNet suite included is only a trial version
The Western Digital My Passport Elite is fast, cost-effective and easy to use. If you're happy with the design, then this is a drive you should check out.
Price$ 319.00 (AUD)
Western Digital's My Passport Elite is a 500GB external hard drive that's faster and cheaper than the 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go, but it doesn't look as stylish.
With a formatted capacity of 465GB and a cost per gigabyte of 68.6 cents, this latest edition of the Passport is better value than both the Seagate FreeAgent Go and the previous generation My Passport Elite 320GB.
Performance hasn't been sacrificed for pricing. The unit is a Scorpio Blue (WD5000BEVT) in a case with a USB 2.0 mini-USB output for connecting the drive to a PC. The Elite has two internal 250GB platters and an 8MB cache. The 2.5in drive spins at 5400rpm and is a strong all-round performer.
We tested the Passport Elite by transferring 5GB worth of files between the hard drive and a test PC equipped with a 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda ES2.
The Passport Elite achieved read and write speeds of 30.61 megabytes per second and 25.37MBps, respectively. Copying files from one location on the drive to another was completed at an average speed of 14.45MBps. All of these speeds are faster than the FreeAgent Go by at least 1MBps in all cases. Throughout all of our testing the My Passport Elite remained cool and relatively quiet.
The Seagate drive managed to make half a terabyte of storage fit into a design that was slim, sleek and sexy, Western Digital has decided to use exactly the same design as last time, and at 126.15(L)x79.5(W)x15(H)mm it is harder to fit into you pocket than the FreeAgent Go.
The Passport Elite has a series of lights that show the user when the drive is active and roughly how much storage space is being used.
The software that comes bundled with the Passport Elite comprises a backup manager (WDBackup), a file synchronisation manager (WDSync), MioNet (which allows remote data retrieval when Internet access is available) and a collection of Google applications. While the first two are useful and easy to install, the Google apps aren't much better than bloatware. Although the MioNet suite is very useful, the program is just a 30-day trial.
In the end, it's difficult to fault the WD Passport Elite. Not only is it faster than the FreeAgent Go, it is also better value. If you don't mind the design, then this is one external hard drive that is definitely worth checking out.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- FTERP Data Migration Consultant - Software Company - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC