Western Digital My Passport AV external hard drive (320GB)
A 320GB WD hard drive optimised for video playback
- Compact and attractive design, cool operation, smooth video file playback
- File transfer speeds could be a little faster
The Western Digital My Passport AV is a capable external hard drive that can store and stream video files without a hitch. Unfortunately, it's not the zippiest hard drive on the market, which somewhat lessens its appeal.
The Western Digital My Passport AV is a portable USB 2.0 external hard drive with a 320GB capacity. As the 'AV' in its name implies, it has been specifically designed with the video connoisseur and camcorder user in mind. It provides reliable video playback, as well as a few AV tricks that most other hard drives lack.
According to Western Digital, the My Passport AV has been especially optimised for smooth video playback. You can stream movies through your television’s USB port (if it has one) or via a compatible media player. Supported models include the Sony BDP-S370 and LG BD390 Blu-ray players, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 video game consoles and the Western Digital WD TV. You can also transfer camcorder movies directly to the hard drive without using a PC — however, you will need a Sony camcorder to take advantage of this feature.
We connected the Western Digital My Passport AV to our Western Digital WD TV and played back some video files we took at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo. While it's difficult to vouch for the WD AV's superiority over other hard drives, we were nevertheless impressed with its playback performance. Our videos appeared smooth and glitch-free from start to finish (well, apart from the glitches that were already there).
Western Digital has a reputation for making compact, durable hard drives and the My Passport AV is no exception. Weighing in at 180g and with dimensions of 16x126x80mm, the Western Digital My Passport AV can be carried around in a laptop bag with ease. It will also make for an unobtrusive fixture in your home entertainment system (a vertical stand is included in the sales package).
During operation, the Western Digital My Passport AV was whisper quiet; an important consideration if you plan to marry it to a media player for frequent video playback. It also remained cool to the touch throughout testing.
To test the Western Digital My Passport AV’s transfer speeds, we copied files back and forth between the drive and our 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor system testbed. We also copied the folders from one location on the drive to another to test its speed when simultaneously reading and writing files. Each test folder contained a variety of files adding up to 3GB and 19.2GB, respectively.
Let’s take a look at how it compared to other external hard drives on the market:
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Western Digital AV Passport||$179||500GB||20.8||13.5||8.8|
|Hitachi SimpleDRIVE Mini||$109||320GB||26.1||17.5||11|
|LaCie Rikiki (USB Boost enabled)||$159||500GB||30.9||17.2||11.1|
|LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive||$139||320GB||24.5||17.1||11.1|
|Astone ISO GEAR 290||$149||500GB||20.5||13.5||9.7|
|HP SimpleSave Portable||$139||320GB||20.4||12.6||8.2|
|Transcend StoreJet 25M-R||$159.95||320GB||23.8||15.3||7.2|
|Western Digital My Passport SE||$379||1TB||26.7||11.7||7.6|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|WD My Passport AV||$179||320GB||29.7||22.5||10.7|
|Hitachi SimpleDRIVE Mini||$109||320GB||28.9||23.8||12.7|
|LaCie Rikiki (USB Boost enabled)||$159||500GB||37.7||26.7||13.3|
|LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive||$139||320GB||27.4||25.9||12.7|
|Astone ISO GEAR 290||$149||500GB||28.7||25.2||11.5|
|HP SimpleSave Portable||$139||320GB||27.9||25.1||11.6|
|Transcend StoreJet 25M-R||$159.95||320GB||28.5||24.3||11.9|
|Western Digital My Passport SE||$379||1TB||31.4||24.8||11.2|
When it came to file transfers, the Western Digital My Passport AV gave a middling performance. Its write speeds were slightly slower than the competition, mustering an average score of just 18 megabytes per second. Read/write speeds were also a little sluggish. When you consider the size of most HD video files, this is an area where the Western Digital My Passport AV should have excelled. (We also transferred a batch of camcorder AVCHD files, but received similar results to our benchmark tests.)
Sluggish transfer speeds aside, the Western Digital My Passport AV is an attractive external hard drive that will provide reliable video storage and playback.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW