Western Digital My Book Essential Edition
- Competitive cost per formatted gigabyte, simple to use, switches itself off when your computer is turned off
- Supplied software is only for trial purposes
This is a basic drive with plenty of storage space at a competitive price. It's suitable for anyone who wants to expand their computer's capacity, without going under the hood.
Price$ 249.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
There isn't much to this My Book Essential Edition drive. In fact, it's aptly named as you won't get any unnecessary features or connections. It's small, button-less and, apart from a distinct blue LED, inconspicuous.
Furthermore, it's ready to use as soon as you pull it out of the box. Simply plug it into a free USB 2.0 port on your PC and you'll straight away be able to store stuff on its capacious 750GB hard drive. That drive has a formatted capacity of 698GB, and when you consider the drive's low asking price of $249, it works out to be 35 cents per formatted gigabyte. That's tremendous value for an external drive and you needn't spend more money unless you need other connectivity options such as Ethernet, eSATA or FireWire.
On the inside, the My Book Essential Edition has a 7200rpm hard drive with a 16MB buffer, which was plenty fast in our tests. It averaged 21.73MBps in our write test and 25MBps in our read test (our source drive was 500GB Samsung SpinPoint), while in the read/write test it managed to transfer data at a rate of 17.24MBps. It's an ideal drive for storing downloads, music and pretty much anything else.
The My Book's exterior is made out of plastic and the internal drive is kept cool purely by the air vents that surround it. There aren't any fans present, which means the drive is very quiet except for the odd noise that can be heard during read/write operations. However, you don't want to pick up this drive and move it while its reading or writing data as it will make a slight grinding noise, which was unnerving during our tests to say the least. Just sit the drive on a desk and let it do its thing before moving it.
Included in the package is the drive's power adapter and a USB cable. You get some software with the drive, which is actually stored on the drive and not supplied on a CD, but it's not the full version software. You get Memeo AutoSynch and AutoBackup, and the latter, in particular, is worth checking out as it's a very easy to use backup program. You can tell Memeo AutoBackup which folders you want to backup, so each time you plug in the My Book drive, those folders will be automatically backed up. You can also tell the software how many additional versions of files within your backup folders you want to keep and you can elect to encrypt files, this means you'll only be able to restore them if you use the Memeo software.
For anyone who wants a basic external hard drive for their PC or notebook, but one with plenty of storage space, this one is ideal. It's a no fuss solution and it won't cost you too much either.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- FTImplementation / Deployment Specialist- Web Sphere, ESB, IIBNSW
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCProject Manager / Delivery Manager - TelcoNSW
- CCDeployment Engineer / IT AuditorQLD
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCScrum MasterACT
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW