Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA - 250GB
- Quiet,Fast transfer speeds, Low heat
- None to speak of.
The 160GB drive is the perfect fit for a mid-range PC, while the 250GB drive will compliment a top-of-the-line configuration nicely.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Compared to a previous generation of Caviar drives that we tested in January 2004, the current crop of Caviar drives have much-improved performance, lower heat emissions and practically silent performance.
Some very clever algorithms have been used to achieve these characteristics--they are employed to manipulate the voltage supply to the mechanical parts of the drive and also to better control the passage of data between the heads, buffer and SATA interface components of the drive.
The noise reduction comes from improved methods of control over the seek, read and write functions of the drive, along with a more efficient power supply design for the drive's motor. In turn, the power consumption of the motor has been more strictly controlled through the drive's firmware, which results in much less heat generation.
The drives we tested in this review are the 160GB WD1600JD and 250GB WD2500JD models. These are both SATA drives.
The 160GB and 250GB models both feature new SATA-style power connectors in addition to the older molex-style power connectors. Both drives also feature SecureConnect, which is a cable mounting design that ensures the SATA data connection on the drive is never compromised. It requires the use of a special SATA cable that plugs into square mounts either side of the SATA port and SATA power connector.
Both the WD1600JD and the WD2500JD feature an 8MB memory buffer and a 7200rpm spin speed. Fluid dynamic bearings also help keep the drive's vibration, noise and wear to a minimum.
During testing, we noticed the WD1600JD had a very low heat emission--just 37.9 degrees. Likewise, the WD2500JD only warmed up to 39 degrees during our 31GB test file transfer. Compared to other drives we have tested, this is a remarkable temperature.
During the data transfer test, both drives were virtually silent and transferred data at high speed. The 160GB drive transferred 927MB per minute, while the 250GB drive transferred 985MB per minute--a very fast result.
The WD1600JD and WD2500JD have competitive costs-per-gigabyte. The 160GB drive is the perfect fit for a mid-range PC, while the 250GB drive will complement a top-of-the-line configuration nicely. Western Digital provides a three-year warranty for both these drives.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
- Seagate releases the first 2TB ultra-slim HDD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCCommVault Backp EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA