First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5
- Excelled in behaviour-based detection
- Failed at finding inactive adware and spyware
Annoyingly, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 asked us what to do during installation of four popular browser toolbars (AOL, Das Ortliche, Google and Quero); the other five programs in our round-up deduced that the toolbars were legitimate. Unfortunately, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 just doesn't perform as well as it used to.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
Since Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0 Beta emerged, we placed it as our Best Buy. Things have changed for the worse with Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 demonstrates excellent behaviour-based detection capabilities, but we were disappointed at how the program struggled to remove adware and spyware from the test PC.
When AV-Test presented Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 with 20 active adware and spyware samples, the program detected 85 per cent of their files and Registry entries. When tested on inactive adware and spyware, however, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 spotted only 26 per cent of adware, just over 14 per cent of password-stealing spyware and fewer than 2 per cent of banking keyloggers.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 did poorly at disinfection, too, cleaning up only a quarter of adware files and Registry entries and 15 per cent of spyware files and Registry entries.
Still, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 excels in behaviour-based detection. It successfully flagged additions to 'Run' keys (HKCU and HKLM) and to the Startup folder plus changes to default Internet Explorer start and search pages and the Hosts file.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 provides one-click access to its system scan, which, in our tests at default settings, completed in less than half the time of the next-fastest competitor. Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 doesn't set up scheduled scans by default but says that it may add a setup wizard to the installation process. The company offers e-mail support at a price.
Latest News Articles
- Android vulnerability allows malware to compromise most devices and apps
- Oracle slashes Larry Ellison's stock options following shareholder discontent
- Microsoft faces anti-monopoly probe in China over Windows, Office
- Privacy groups call for action to stop Facebook's off site user tracking plans
- Huawei's smartphones shipments rise on international sales
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 3 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 4 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 5 How to pick the right size TV for your living room