Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5
- Excelled in behaviour-based detection
- Failed at finding inactive adware and spyware
Annoyingly, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 asked us what to do during installation of four popular browser toolbars (AOL, Das Ortliche, Google and Quero); the other five programs in our round-up deduced that the toolbars were legitimate. Unfortunately, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 just doesn't perform as well as it used to.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Since Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0 Beta emerged, we placed it as our Best Buy. Things have changed for the worse with Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 demonstrates excellent behaviour-based detection capabilities, but we were disappointed at how the program struggled to remove adware and spyware from the test PC.
When AV-Test presented Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 with 20 active adware and spyware samples, the program detected 85 per cent of their files and Registry entries. When tested on inactive adware and spyware, however, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 spotted only 26 per cent of adware, just over 14 per cent of password-stealing spyware and fewer than 2 per cent of banking keyloggers.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 did poorly at disinfection, too, cleaning up only a quarter of adware files and Registry entries and 15 per cent of spyware files and Registry entries.
Still, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 excels in behaviour-based detection. It successfully flagged additions to 'Run' keys (HKCU and HKLM) and to the Startup folder plus changes to default Internet Explorer start and search pages and the Hosts file.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 provides one-click access to its system scan, which, in our tests at default settings, completed in less than half the time of the next-fastest competitor. Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 doesn't set up scheduled scans by default but says that it may add a setup wizard to the installation process. The company offers e-mail support at a price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCScrum Master with Java development backgroundACT
- CCIT Change Coordinator / AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCWeb/Mobile Developer (Android)WA
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCDevOps /Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA