Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5
- Excelled in behaviour-based detection
- Failed at finding inactive adware and spyware
Annoyingly, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 asked us what to do during installation of four popular browser toolbars (AOL, Das Ortliche, Google and Quero); the other five programs in our round-up deduced that the toolbars were legitimate. Unfortunately, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 just doesn't perform as well as it used to.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Since Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0 Beta emerged, we placed it as our Best Buy. Things have changed for the worse with Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 demonstrates excellent behaviour-based detection capabilities, but we were disappointed at how the program struggled to remove adware and spyware from the test PC.
When AV-Test presented Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 with 20 active adware and spyware samples, the program detected 85 per cent of their files and Registry entries. When tested on inactive adware and spyware, however, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 spotted only 26 per cent of adware, just over 14 per cent of password-stealing spyware and fewer than 2 per cent of banking keyloggers.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 did poorly at disinfection, too, cleaning up only a quarter of adware files and Registry entries and 15 per cent of spyware files and Registry entries.
Still, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 excels in behaviour-based detection. It successfully flagged additions to 'Run' keys (HKCU and HKLM) and to the Startup folder plus changes to default Internet Explorer start and search pages and the Hosts file.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 provides one-click access to its system scan, which, in our tests at default settings, completed in less than half the time of the next-fastest competitor. Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 doesn't set up scheduled scans by default but says that it may add a setup wizard to the installation process. The company offers e-mail support at a price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
- Panasonic pushes buttons with smart home prototypes at SXSW
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTIT Security Team LeadNSW
- FTGraduate Application Support Analyst -SMSF SoftwareNSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTSenior Security AnalystACT
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectWA
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPGIS Officer | Map InfoQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack Software Engineer, C#, Financial ServicesNSW
- TPBusiness Change ManagerQLD
- FTHR Application Architect - WorkdayVIC
- FTImplementation LeadVIC
- FTProject Manager - Financial Forecasting SystemsNSW
- TPSenior Communications Officer | SharePointQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportQLD
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCMicrostrategy DeveloperVIC
- FTWeb BA LeadQLD
- CCBenefits/Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Data Migration LeadNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW