Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5
- Excelled in behaviour-based detection
- Failed at finding inactive adware and spyware
Annoyingly, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 asked us what to do during installation of four popular browser toolbars (AOL, Das Ortliche, Google and Quero); the other five programs in our round-up deduced that the toolbars were legitimate. Unfortunately, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 just doesn't perform as well as it used to.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Since Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0 Beta emerged, we placed it as our Best Buy. Things have changed for the worse with Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 demonstrates excellent behaviour-based detection capabilities, but we were disappointed at how the program struggled to remove adware and spyware from the test PC.
When AV-Test presented Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 with 20 active adware and spyware samples, the program detected 85 per cent of their files and Registry entries. When tested on inactive adware and spyware, however, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 spotted only 26 per cent of adware, just over 14 per cent of password-stealing spyware and fewer than 2 per cent of banking keyloggers.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 did poorly at disinfection, too, cleaning up only a quarter of adware files and Registry entries and 15 per cent of spyware files and Registry entries.
Still, Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 excels in behaviour-based detection. It successfully flagged additions to 'Run' keys (HKCU and HKLM) and to the Startup folder plus changes to default Internet Explorer start and search pages and the Hosts file.
Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 provides one-click access to its system scan, which, in our tests at default settings, completed in less than half the time of the next-fastest competitor. Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 doesn't set up scheduled scans by default but says that it may add a setup wizard to the installation process. The company offers e-mail support at a price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCData Integration specialistACT
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC