Webroot Parental Controls
- Seven protection levels, you can restrict access by time and period
- Webroot doesn't quite define what a young children's Web site would be, trusted sites with microsites get past Webroot's security
There's no doubt that Webroot Parental Controls is a thorough program. Any youngsters trying simple tricks such as altering the time will find themselves unstuck. While Mum and Dad may find it time consuming adding Web addresses to the Trusted Sites section, it's certainly worth it.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Webroot Parental Controls addresses a fundamental problem faced by every doting parent with a Web-savvy child.
It's impossible to supervise children for every second they surf the Internet. But no parent wants to ban their child completely from such a useful education resource.
The answer? Software such as Webroot Parental Controls that restricts the type of Web sites and programs available to youngsters, as well as the length of time they can be accessed for.
Webroot has recently updated its Webroot Parental Controls software so we put it to the test.
Once we'd downloaded Webroot Parental Controls (which is also available in CD format) we had to set up a profile for every user and give them one of seven protection levels. These range from child user, which features heavy restrictions on content, programs and usage times, to an adult user with no restrictions.
Webroot Parental Controls' content restrictions for Web sites are very stringent. Under the child user profile almost all content categories are blocked, with the exception of 'young child'. That said, we aren't sure quite what Webroot defines as young children's sites – both Disney.com and the ABC's Play School Web site were unavailable under this profile.
Parents can rectify such omissions in Webroot Parental Controls by adding specified addresses to a list of Trusted Sites, which can then be accessed by the youngster concerned.
Another issue is that some trusted sites use microsites. By clicking the links on the main, approved site we were directed to new Web addresses, which weren't in the Trusted Sites list and were unavailable. So Webroot Parental Controls demands some input from parents.
Each Webroot Parental Controls user profile can also be customised to restrict the programs available to use as well as the time and period for which the computer and Internet can be accessed.
The computer access can be restricted on different days of the week for anywhere from 0 to 24 hours. It can be altered by 15-minute increments. With Webroot Parental Controls Web access, however, can be restricted only by hourly intervals on different days.
Under the Webroot Parental Controls restrictions, Web access is automatically cut off as soon as the computer clock hits the relevant time. When the computer access is close to its time limit, warnings are issued every minute.
Tricks such as switching from one Web browser to another, or attempting to alter the time on the PC's clock don't cut it with Webroot Parental Controls.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCApplication Server AdminACT
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer- LinuxWA
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, Service Performance, RetailNSW
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCNetwork AdministratorWA
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCOffice 365 Systems EngineerNSW
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW