Webroot Parental Controls
- Seven protection levels, you can restrict access by time and period
- Webroot doesn't quite define what a young children's Web site would be, trusted sites with microsites get past Webroot's security
There's no doubt that Webroot Parental Controls is a thorough program. Any youngsters trying simple tricks such as altering the time will find themselves unstuck. While Mum and Dad may find it time consuming adding Web addresses to the Trusted Sites section, it's certainly worth it.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Webroot Parental Controls addresses a fundamental problem faced by every doting parent with a Web-savvy child.
It's impossible to supervise children for every second they surf the Internet. But no parent wants to ban their child completely from such a useful education resource.
The answer? Software such as Webroot Parental Controls that restricts the type of Web sites and programs available to youngsters, as well as the length of time they can be accessed for.
Webroot has recently updated its Webroot Parental Controls software so we put it to the test.
Once we'd downloaded Webroot Parental Controls (which is also available in CD format) we had to set up a profile for every user and give them one of seven protection levels. These range from child user, which features heavy restrictions on content, programs and usage times, to an adult user with no restrictions.
Webroot Parental Controls' content restrictions for Web sites are very stringent. Under the child user profile almost all content categories are blocked, with the exception of 'young child'. That said, we aren't sure quite what Webroot defines as young children's sites – both Disney.com and the ABC's Play School Web site were unavailable under this profile.
Parents can rectify such omissions in Webroot Parental Controls by adding specified addresses to a list of Trusted Sites, which can then be accessed by the youngster concerned.
Another issue is that some trusted sites use microsites. By clicking the links on the main, approved site we were directed to new Web addresses, which weren't in the Trusted Sites list and were unavailable. So Webroot Parental Controls demands some input from parents.
Each Webroot Parental Controls user profile can also be customised to restrict the programs available to use as well as the time and period for which the computer and Internet can be accessed.
The computer access can be restricted on different days of the week for anywhere from 0 to 24 hours. It can be altered by 15-minute increments. With Webroot Parental Controls Web access, however, can be restricted only by hourly intervals on different days.
Under the Webroot Parental Controls restrictions, Web access is automatically cut off as soon as the computer clock hits the relevant time. When the computer access is close to its time limit, warnings are issued every minute.
Tricks such as switching from one Web browser to another, or attempting to alter the time on the PC's clock don't cut it with Webroot Parental Controls.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCProject Manager XPLANNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCTIBCO Support ConsultantsNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Project Server/SharePoint exposureACT
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT