WebFlicks Online DVD Rentals
- 17,000 strong catalogue, Reasonable DVD turnaround, Good customer service.
- Unattractive interface, Too expensive
WebFlicks is a good online DVD rental service but it is in no way the best.
Price$ None (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
When you first go to the WebFlicks website, it looks like a poor cousin of the other Australian DVD Rental sites with a fairly unattractive interface. The garish orange and blue interface is far from sleek and aesthetically pleasing, but the functionality of the website is actually quite good. The search function is rather comprehensive and the menu system on the left of the page covers all the usual elements such as new to DVD, coming soon, new releases and a variety of specialty groupings. However, when you visit the new releases, it becomes painfully obvious that they are about a month behind their competitors with respect to their range.
Of the big three Australian Online DVD Rental websites, WebFlicks has the smallest range with only 17,000 titles. The fact that they don't have the absolute latest titles is a detriment to the service and is a large contributing factor when deciding which service to choose.
On the upside, their DVD Turnaround is quite reasonable. When we signed up to their trial we choose 15 titles to put on our list broken up into 10 new and recent releases and 5 older titles. It took about 5 days to get our first shipment from WebFlicks which was comprised of 3 recent releases and 1 older release. We sent them back two days later but received no new shipment before it was time to cancel our trial.
WebFlicks has a very limited trial period of two weeks, the same as their competitor QuickFlix, which we felt was not enough time for the average consumer to properly assess the merits of the service. The one month trial offered by BigPond Movies allowed for a more thorough representation of that company and should be a standard for all these services.
To add insult to injury, WebFlicks is also more expensive than its competitors, which is curious considering what they offer. If they had a wider range and the latest releases, they may have been able to justify their price point, but considering their service, it seems a little overblown.
Their customer service was quite good although we did find that they tended to send a few too many superfluous emails. When it came time to cancel our account we were very pleased with how easy it was. All we needed to do was click on button and it was done. We received a follow up email asking us to fill out a survey as to why we decided to cancel our account but that was the last we heard from them. We appreciated that fact quite a bit.
WebFlicks is a good online DVD rental service but it is in no way the best. It is almost on-par with QuickFlix as they tend to send out more DVDs at one time but their pricing, interface and range leaves them sitting in third place in our April roundup.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- FTPHP Developer (full stack)WA
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- FTAEM & AEM Forms ConsultantsWA
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia