WebFlicks Online DVD Rentals
- Largest range in Australia, reasonable pricing plans.
- Slow DVD turnaround, short trial period
Quickflix may have the most DVDs in their catalogue but since they take so long to send them out, they aren’t quite the best in the industry.
Price$ None (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
When you first go to the WebFlicks website, it looks like a poor cousin of the other Australian DVD Rental sites with a fairly unattractive interface. The garish orange and blue interface is far from sleek and aesthetically pleasing, but the functionality of the website is actually quite good. The search function is rather comprehensive and the menu system on the left of the page covers all the usual elements such as new to DVD, coming soon, new releases and a variety of specialty groupings. However, when you visit the new releases, it becomes painfully obvious that they are about a month behind their competitors with respect to their range.
Of the big three Australian Online DVD Rental websites, WebFlicks has the smallest range with only 17,000 titles. The fact that they don't have the absolute latest titles is a detriment to the service and is a large contributing factor when deciding which service to choose.
On the upside, their DVD Turnaround is quite reasonable. When we signed up to their trial we choose 15 titles to put on our list broken up into 10 new and recent releases and 5 older titles. It took about 5 days to get our first shipment from WebFlicks which was comprised of 3 recent releases and 1 older release. We sent them back two days later but received no new shipment before it was time to cancel our trial.
WebFlicks has a very limited trial period of two weeks, the same as their competitor QuickFlix, which we felt was not enough time for the average consumer to properly assess the merits of the service. The one month trial offered by BigPond Movies allowed for a more thorough representation of that company and should be a standard for all these services.
To add insult to injury, WebFlicks is also more expensive than its competitors, which is curious considering what they offer. If they had a wider range and the latest releases, they may have been able to justify their price point, but considering their service, it seems a little overblown.
Their customer service was quite good although we did find that they tended to send a few too many superfluous emails. When it came time to cancel our account we were very pleased with how easy it was. All we needed to do was click on button and it was done. We received a follow up email asking us to fill out a survey as to why we decided to cancel our account but that was the last we heard from them. We appreciated that fact quite a bit.
WebFlicks is a good online DVD rental service but it is in no way the best. It is almost on-par with QuickFlix as they tend to send out more DVDs at one time but their pricing, interface and range leaves them sitting in third place in our April roundup.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCICT Contracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCMessaging Engineer - BAU SupportNSW