Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Speed Racer
- Super friendly "car-fu" controls, wireless for up to six, decent 3-D
- Some AI rubberbanding, puzzling lack of award ceremony screen
It's somewhat mindless fun, but it's still fun.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Despite sounding absolutely ridiculous on paper, there is something fun about "car-fu." And not only that, but when I say "car-fu" I'm talking about the crazy vehicle martial artistry exhibited by insanely fast cars with a set of Jump Jacks and some very agile wheels; i.e., cars from this spring's Wachowski Brothers family flick, Speed Racer. This means that yes, Speed Racer: The Videogame is a movie license game you can buy for your nephew cringe-free.
Go go go
Apparently if you don't know these characters it's your own fault, but all they're here to do is compete in the World Racing League circuits, so it doesn't matter. The WRL comes in three difficulty classes based on speed and enemy feistiness, each with its own lay-out of the 19 tracks. As you advance, you'll eventually unlock arcade modes for time trials, stunt runs and quick battles. If you can gain enough fans via mad skillz in the trick department, you'll also gain access to new car models, fresh paint jobs and, eventually, all 16 playable drivers.
Car-fu. This is what sets Speed Racer apart from other racing games — the ability to literally jump on top of another car to mess them up. Hit the B prompt near an opponent to slow down time (you can even take your thumb off the gas if you like) and then perform a bit of quick-time magic to pull off the crunch. Just hit X or Y as the icon slides over the sweet spot — harmless! In medium and hard difficulty, you get sent to the same screen to dodge enemy attacks.
A more immediate car-fu manoeuvre is a spin mapped to the X button. It's useful not only for knocking around your opponents, but also for recovering from a weird trick landing or a bad drift. Tricks and drifts are excellent, in turn, not only because they make the girlies swoon, but because they fill your boost bar and can send you into the invincible "zone."
Mach 5 in your pocket
All told, Speed Racer: The Videogame is a forgiving, kid-friendly experience. Any times I somehow fell off the course were balanced by the times I probably should have, but didn't. Since you never actually explode, it's pretty much mindless fun, even when dealing with AI that always seems to manage to catch up. It's too bad there's no downloadable multiplayer option, but up to five can join in with their own cards. For those not quite willing to pop for the Wii Wheelin' version or who need their Speed on the road, the DS game holds its own.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- CCBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC