Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Speed Racer
Looking for something faster than Mario Kart Wii?
- Visceral motion controls, high speed combative racing, great soundtrack
- Noticeable auto-steering, rubberbanding AI, only two players in multiplayer
Only being being able to have two players is a pity, but the game is generally fun.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
I'm sure anyone with a taste for combative racing is deep in their quest to unlock everything Mario Kart Wii has to offer, but if you're looking for something faster, with a lot more car-fu, Speed Racer: The Videogame is surprisingly recommendable.
Waggle, meet the 'fu
Competing in the World Racing League's 18 championships involves navigating brightly coloured ribbons of loopy, twisty, Mobius strippy track just like you probably saw in the movie trailer, but also bashing the hell out of your opponents. Car-fu is definitely the most interesting part, as you won't find many gimmicks in the tracks to distinguish them, even though the locations are diverse. It's satisfying to see cars flipping down the track or spiralling off a jump after taking a particularly "hyper" round house to the windshield.
Best of all, though, is the fact that the whole game is motion-controlled, without even the option for analogue. We can hear the precision-obsessed, anti-Wii Wheelers whining already, but once you start jerking the remote horizontally to shunt your opponents into a wall or pulling up for a barrel roll Jack Jump turned spinning Torpedo attack by a boost, you won't miss your thumb on the stick. Hardcore racing fans may find the compensational auto-steering unnecessary, but it doesn't interfere with your inputs, and in fact, you may be glad it's there when you use a quadruple-stacked boost to enter "the zone" for invincibility and tons of extra speed.
Leave one friend in the dust (only one)
As you overcome the AI (who rubberband like a pack of rubber bastards) in championships by placing at least third, you'll unlock the 20 characters. To spice up rankings, there are bonus points awarded for having the fastest lap and causing massive damage, so you can win a championship without actually racing every race. Two players can compete in either single races or a full championship (with auto-saves between races!), but there's no head-to-head versus, most likely because it's just not as fun without all the carnage. Sadly, "multiplayer" is a bit of an overstatement, since two is all you get. Lack of online anything also holds the game back.
Maybe that's just expecting too much from a summer movie license. For what it is, with voiceovers from the actors, what I imagine is probably movie soundtrack, and some excellent-looking, swift racing with seriously fun combat stunts, Speed Racer: The Videogame is awesome. Popcorn game for a popcorn movie? Nothing wrong with that.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC