Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment LEGO Batman: The Videogame
A blocky Dark Knight.
- It's a charming and fun take on the Batman universe; the cast of playable characters is great
- The computer A.I. partner isn't very much help; play the game with a friend for best results
The developers behind the magical LEGO Star Wars and the thrilling LEGO Indiana Jones bring their brand of blocky fun to the world of Batman. Full of surprises, humor and an all-star cast of playable characters, it's yet another solid reinvention of an established license. Plus, it has Batman in it!
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
I am a huge nerd when it comes to Batman, so my expectations for the LEGO version of my favourite superhero franchise were understandably high. After seeing what Traveller's Tales did with the Dark Knight, I'm really happy to say that it lives up my expectations as well as the high bar set by the company's previous efforts. With just the right amount of humour and some clever game design, LEGO Batman's a great title for Bat-obsessed fanboys and casual gamers alike.
BIFF! BOOM! BAM!
The first thing I noticed about LEGO Batman is that it isn't as silly or as lighthearted as its siblings. Gotham City is a far darker place and Traveller's Tales wisely kept that motif intact. There are some welcome attempts at humour, like the characters emotive faces and pratfalls, but it's not overdone, which is a good thing overall. The colour palette skews more towards darker tones but the visual style still jumps out at you.
Gameplay wise, it stays true to the LEGO formula — you run around cleverly designed levels breaking apart the scenery, collecting gobs of LEGO studs and solving simple puzzles. You also fight criminals and deal with the occasional boss fight but it isn't particularly taxing, especially since you get unlimited lives (the only penalty is that you lose some studs each time you die, which affects your end of level rating). There are also some cool vehicle-based levels that add a nice sense of variety and multiple costumes you can collect that impart special abilities. You also get to play from the villains' viewpoint which is especially awesome since the baddies, from the Joker on down, display the most personality.
Breaking The Law
The only gripe I had with LEGO Batman is that you really can't play it alone; the AI partner isn't particularly helpful and while it does an adequate job of being in the right place when it comes to cooperative puzzles, it spends most of its time just sort of standing around. But the real joy of a LEGO game is heading out with a friend to smash stuff up and grab scads of loot, so it's not that big of a deal.
With a great variety of levels, tons of things to smash and collect, and a loveable cast of iconic heroes and villains, LEGO Batman is a fun and enjoyable title that will appeal not only to younger gamers but to Batman fans alike. It's not Dark Knight: The Video Game but it's an excellent addition to the Batman mythos nonetheless.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Craig Wright backpedals, refusing to prove he's Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto
- Steam updates user reviews to better reflect trends
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
- Minecraft steps into virtual reality as Samsung Gear VR Edition appears in Oculus Store
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- FTApplication Manager | Telco IndustryVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTGeneral Manager: Applications DevelopmentVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCPMO Support SpecialistVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCRelease Management LeadNSW
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCICT Transformation Project Manager- University, Education bckgNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW