- Progressive scan support, useful extra features
- Unstable, poor attention to detail, no support for DivX or XviD
The DVD-ZK7 offers some high end features like progressive scan NTSC and PAL playback, but it's let down by poor stability and a lack of DivX video support.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Voxson's DVD-ZK7 portable DVD player is tiny, measuring a mere 20 x 15 x 3cm and weighing in at less than a kilogram. Like other Voxson models, the DVD-ZK7 doesn't include support for WMV, DivX or XviD, although it can handle burnt media. DVDs and audio CDs play back without glitches, as do CD-R or CD-RW discs full of MP3 audio files or JPEG images. The 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
The silver unit features a clamshell design with a top-loading DVD drive. Setup, LCD, mode and menu buttons accompany the standard suite of navigation controls. There are dials below the screen to adjust colour and brightness, and we found that both worked effectively. At the brightest setting, the DVD-ZK7 is clearly visible outdoors. In fact, we found ourselves leaving brightness and contrast set at around the midway point when watching movies inside.
The right-hand side of the machine provides a volume control and headphone connector, in addition to a coaxial output, AV input and output and progressive scan AV connector. A remote control is also bundled with the machine.
Unfortunately, the design suffers from a lack of attention to detail: there was a little play in the DVD drive cover straight from the box, as well as a disconcerting sticker on the bottom reading, "Notice: some DVD discs may not be compatible with this unit and may cause the unit to freeze". Testing proved this to be true, and the DVD-ZK7 locked up twice during testing, both times while trying to play a DVD.
Aside from this small glitch, the unit offers some handy features, like the ability to play back to either an NTSC or PAL TV with progressive scan support. It also includes coaxial audio and S-Video outputs, so it would be comfortable in a relatively high end AV setup. The DVD-ZK7 can also accept an external AV source, so it's possible to plug in a gaming console.
All up, a couple of playback glitches hamper what is otherwise a solid little unit supported by a one-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCHigh Level Network Engineer (Communications)WA
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW