- Accepts external AV input
- No support for DivX, XviD or WMV formats
Though it doesn't include support for MPEG-4-based video formats, Voxson's entry-level SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. And you can even plug in an external input.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The SL-50 is the entry-level offering in Voxson's range of portable DVD players. The silver and grey unit sports a 7" screen (with a 16:9 aspect ratio) and closely resembles a small notebook. A volume control, dual headphone outputs, coaxial, AV and power connectors run down the right hand panel, while a group of navigation buttons sits next to the top-loading DVD tray.
The SL-50 can handle a range of media formats and had no problem with burnt discs during testing. Supported formats include DVDs, Kodak Picture CDs and audio CDs, or burnt discs containing MP3 or JPEG files.
Voxson has made every attempt to simplify setup and installation and has bundled a Quick Guide with the SL-50 to help cover basic operation. It gives examples (with diagrams) of functions like how to play a DVD, or connect to a TV or charger, and is a handy inclusion for anyone not comfortable with this technology.
The machine measures 21 x 16 x 41cm and ships with a car adapter. The bundled rechargeable battery proved good for nearly 3 hours of use away from a power source. The battery features its own power connector, so you can charge it while watching a DVD (provided you have two power adapters).
There's also a small silver remote control, although given that most portable DVD players (including the SL-50) sport 7" screens, it's rare that you would watch a movie from further than arm's reach away. It would come in handy for times when the device is connected to a TV to play back in a lounge or hotel room.
Both NTSC and PAL formats are supported, and the machine can handle progressive scan playback.
One relatively unusual feature is the ability to plug in an external AV source for playback on the SL-50. In testing, we connected up a game console for a few quick frags, and it worked flawlessly.
The SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. It's let down by a lack of support for video formats like DivX or WMV, but it's acceptable for an entry-level model. Add a game console and car adapter, and you could keep the kids quiet for hours on a long trip.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- FTCyber Security SpecialistNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCSenior Project Manager - DigitalVIC
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- FTIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCService Delivery Manager - Infrastructure/ApplicationsNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | Northern BeachesNSW
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW