- Accepts external AV input
- No support for DivX, XviD or WMV formats
Though it doesn't include support for MPEG-4-based video formats, Voxson's entry-level SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. And you can even plug in an external input.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
The SL-50 is the entry-level offering in Voxson's range of portable DVD players. The silver and grey unit sports a 7" screen (with a 16:9 aspect ratio) and closely resembles a small notebook. A volume control, dual headphone outputs, coaxial, AV and power connectors run down the right hand panel, while a group of navigation buttons sits next to the top-loading DVD tray.
The SL-50 can handle a range of media formats and had no problem with burnt discs during testing. Supported formats include DVDs, Kodak Picture CDs and audio CDs, or burnt discs containing MP3 or JPEG files.
Voxson has made every attempt to simplify setup and installation and has bundled a Quick Guide with the SL-50 to help cover basic operation. It gives examples (with diagrams) of functions like how to play a DVD, or connect to a TV or charger, and is a handy inclusion for anyone not comfortable with this technology.
The machine measures 21 x 16 x 41cm and ships with a car adapter. The bundled rechargeable battery proved good for nearly 3 hours of use away from a power source. The battery features its own power connector, so you can charge it while watching a DVD (provided you have two power adapters).
There's also a small silver remote control, although given that most portable DVD players (including the SL-50) sport 7" screens, it's rare that you would watch a movie from further than arm's reach away. It would come in handy for times when the device is connected to a TV to play back in a lounge or hotel room.
Both NTSC and PAL formats are supported, and the machine can handle progressive scan playback.
One relatively unusual feature is the ability to plug in an external AV source for playback on the SL-50. In testing, we connected up a game console for a few quick frags, and it worked flawlessly.
The SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. It's let down by a lack of support for video formats like DivX or WMV, but it's acceptable for an entry-level model. Add a game console and car adapter, and you could keep the kids quiet for hours on a long trip.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSecurity Software EngineerACT
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Integration Solution ManagementVIC
- CCScrum MasterACT
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, AdviceNSW
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC