- Readily portable, plug-and-play
- Poor sound quality, tiny buttons
A fairly average mp3 player, the MP-50's low quality sound and fiddly controls are countered by its cheap price tag and light weight.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
A fairly standard offering from Voxson, the MP-50 is a small and lightweight mp3 player. Far from anything special, the Voxson is nevertheless an affordable option for those looking for a readily portable music player.
Encased in silver-gray plastic, the MP-50 measures a mere 72mm x 36mm x 12mm, and weighs in at 24g. A one inch screen takes up the left hand side of the player, while a tiny circle of buttons sits on the right side. Menu, record, and power switches are located on the sides of the device, as are the headphone and USB plugs, and the built in microphone. Physically, the player sits very easily in a pocket or hand, and is generally quite unobtrusive.
Actually using the Voxson is a little different, however. The buttons take up less than half the space not occupied by the screen, a phenomenon that perplexed us, as the buttons are quite obviously too small for easy operation. The circular central button has a diameter of about one centimeter, and is adjacent to four other buttons, a configuration which results in several accidental presses. Apart from this, we found the buttons to generally be pretty responsive, and a stylish blue backlight contributes nicely to the player's overall look.
Sound quality is probably this player's biggest let down. It just doesn't sound good enough, especially when using the supplied earphones. We did notice a marked improvement in clarity and reproduction of individual notes when using our own preferred set of headphones, however there were still unacceptable levels 'fuzz' at mid to high volume. We found this to be less noticeable with certain genres of music, for example hip hop sounded impressive on the Voxson, whereas Jazz suffered distinctly from poor sound quality. Part of this could be attributed to the equaliser, which included only seven presets, without support for customised equalisation. It wasn't all equalisation, however, and we were able to detect notable trouble in reproduction of high range tones, although to its credit, the MP-50 delivered relatively respectable bass levels.
FM radio, voice recording, and e-book support are all fairly well integrated, functioning at about the level one would expect from peripheral features such as these. Connection to a PC is via USB 2.0, and its easy 'plug-and-play' interface means that the MP-50 can readily serve as a removal storage device if so required.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT