Vodafone Update for iPhone
A social-networking aggregation application for the iPhone, Vodafone Update combines Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and Twitpic accounts into one interface.
- Clean user interface, easy to set up and straightforward to use, can update Facebook and Twitter simultaneously, free
- No access to Facebook private messages, can't add multiple Twitter accounts, no push notifications
Vodafone Update for iPhone lacks some features which heavy social-network users might find critical, but it's an easy and effective way to keep updated with multiple social-networking services. And it's free.
Social networking is serious business these days and, with many people using multiple Web sites and services, it's hard to keep up. A social-networking aggregation application for the iPhone, Vodafone Update combines Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and Twitpic accounts into one interface.
The first time you fire up the Vodafone for update iPhone app, you'll be asked to enter your account details for the services you want to access. Once you've added your accounts and given permission for the app to access them, you'll be see what looks like a regular list of tweets, but with Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn updates also displayed. A small icon on the right side of each post denotes which service an update is from.
Despite the aggregation of up to four social-networking services, Vodafone Update's interface is clean and easy to read. It has a similar look and feel to Tweetie 2, albeit without the scrolling down to refresh the list. Even if you add all available services, you can choose to view updates from just one or two, simply by tapping the relevant icon at the top of the friends list. Tapping on an update takes you to a "details" screen where you can "like" the status update or add a comment if its from Facebook, or reply, send a DM, add as a favourite, or view a user's profile if its from Twitter. You can also e-mail and retweet both Facebook status updates and tweets from the details screen.
The Vodafone Update iPhone app also allows you to update your Facebook status and send a tweet simultaneously. Tapping the "write update" button in the top right corner opens a text box where you can enter your update using the standard iPhone keyboard layout. Using the options menu, you can shrink a URL, upload or take a photo using Twitpic and geotag your update. You can also choose to send a just tweet or a just a Facebook status update by un-checking either the Facebook or Twitter icons above the keyboard.
Below the main screen you can switch between your list of friends, Twitter mentions, direct Twitter messages and Twitter search. The Twitter messages screen doesn't show Facebook private messages. In the 'more' tab you can see current Twitter trends, add or delete your accounts, go directly to a friend's profile, read your tweets, and see a list of nearby tweets (provided your iPhone's location services setting is turned on).
A critical feature missing from Vodafone Update is the ability to add multiple Twitter accounts, so this effectively rules out the app for those who may have a work and a private account, for example. It's also limited as you can't save searches in Twitter, can't access or edit lists and there is no way to save a potential update as a draft. There is also no option for push notifications.
Vodafone Update is also available for Android, BlackBerry, and Symbian S60 smartphones and can also be downloaded as a desktop client for your PC or Mac.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Which iPhones, iPads, and iPods support iOS 10?
- Lab results find the iPhone SE fails the bendgate and waterproof test
- Apple developing new batteries to improve energy capacity in devices
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT