Vodafone Pocket WiFi modem
Vodafone's Pocket WiFi modem offers mobile broadband access for up to five devices
- Up to five simultaneous connections, large OLED display, good battery life, easy to set up and use, can be used while charging
- No external antenna jack, locked to Vodafone (it can be unlocked, however)
The Vodafone Pocket WiFi is a 3G mobile broadband modem that's easy to use. It also acts as a wireless hotspot for up to five devices.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Vodafone's battery-powered Pocket WiFi modem allows up to five devices to connect to it wirelessly for shared mobile broadband access over a telco's 3G network. It's a similar device to the Virgin Mobile Wi-Fi Modem, but the Vodafone Pocket WiFi has a monochrome OLED status display.
The Vodafone Pocket WiFi's display shows signal strength, battery life, the amount of data used (both downlink and uplink), network status (GSM, 2G, 3G) and how many devices are currently connected to the unit. The screen makes it much easier to see this kind of information at a glance — most other Wi-Fi modems, including the excellent NetComm MyZone 3G, use basic LEDs instead of a display.
Vodafone clearly considers simplicity a virtue, as the Pocket WiFi takes less than a minute to set up — you simply insert your SIM card and the battery, turn the unit on and it is ready for use. The Pocket WiFi has just one button on the left side (a power key), while a microSD slot on the left supports memory cards of up to 32GB in capacity. When connected over Wi-Fi multiple computers can access the content of the microSD card. A reset button can be accessed by removing the rear cover.
The Pocket WiFi charges via a standard microUSB port through an included AC adapter or USB cable, and the device can still be used while it is charging. One missing feature is the external antenna jack to boost reception, often found on regular USB modems.
The Vodafone Pocket WiFi modem has a wireless range of up to 15 metres, but we found the signal strength started to rapidly deteriorate after about 10 metres. It worked fine up to this distance through the internal walls of an office. Up to five separate devices can connect simultaneously to the Internet on the Vodafone network — we didn't notice much slowdown with two smartphones and a notebook connected simultaneously.
As is always the case when it comes to mobile broadband, the speed of the Vodafone Pocket WiFi modem will depend on a number of factors, including the mobile network, the area you're in, the time of day and network congestion. We found speeds relatively stable while in a 3G zone, but coverage can be quite patchy outside major suburbs.
Using our Broadband Speed Test, the Vodafone Pocket WiFi modem managed to achieve download speeds of up to 3.7 megabits per second (Mbps), but it regularly hovered around 2.5-3Mbps in North Sydney. Upload speeds were also stable at around 1.4Mbps. With multiple devices connected and running the speed test simultaneously, these figures dropped to around 2Mbps, which is still a respectable result.
The Vodafone Pocket WiFi modem comes with a default SSID and WEP key, but you can change these settings by typing http://pocket.wifi into your browser. The simple interface allows you to change the name of your network (SSID), change your password, and configure advanced wireless and 3G settings, and it can be accessed through an iPod Touch or iPad.
Vodafone claims the modem has a battery life of up to five hours, but we managed almost a full day's use (primarily using it for basic Web browsing) before the battery needed recharging. The Pocket WiFi modem has a sleep function to preserve battery life when not in use, but will awake as soon as it detects a connection.
The Pocket WiFi modem is available through Vodafone for $99 and includes 1GB of data with a 30-day expiry. Alternatively, you can sign up for a number of 12- or 24-month plans — the Pocket WiFi is available for $0 upfront on a $29 plan over 24 months, with 4GB of data to use per month.
The Vodafone Pocket WiFi modem is locked to Vodafone's broadband service, but can be unlocked for $50 (or $25 if you unlock online).
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- Are you ready for the enterprise wearables boom?
- IBM makes quantum computing available in the cloud
- What Apple's first down quarter in 13 years really means
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- CCLMS Administrator and e- Learning Development Project OfficerSA
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCProject Manager / Delivery Manager - TelcoNSW
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- CCOracle Application Administrator - July startACT
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia