Vodafone Mega Modem
Vodafone Mega Modem review: Vodafone's latest mobile broadband USB stick provides access to the telco's new 850MHz network
- Theoretical maximum speeds of 21.6Mbps on 850MHz network, microSD card slot, antenna port, ease of use and setup
- Chunky size, 850MHz network still being built
Vodafone's Mega Modem promises faster speeds than regular USB modems, but the full advantages of the 850MHz network won't be felt until it is finished being built.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Vodafone's Mega Modem USB stick (a fancy name for the K4505 mobile broadband modem) is one of the first devices to access Vodafone's new 850MHz 3G network. The new Vodafone network is claimed to provide better indoor coverage, stronger signal and faster data speeds.
Looking for a prepaid mobile broadband solution? Read our reviews of the best prepaid mobile broadband modems on the market.
As far as USB modems go, the Vodafone Mega Modem is a fairly standard affair, though it is a little chunkier than most standard USB sticks. The Mega Modem has a lightweight, glossy white plastic shell, an external antenna connection, a slide-out USB connector, and a microSD card slot that allows it to double as a portable flash drive. Unfortunately, the Vodafone Mega Modem's chunky shape means it prevented access to the second USB port on our 13in MacBook Pro. On larger notebooks this shouldn't be a problem, and it is more of a fault on Apple's part than Huawei's, the manufacturer of the Mega Modem. The Mega Modem also lacks a rotating USB connector, which would have reduced the risk of bumping it when connected to your notebook.
The Vodafone Mega Modem offers plug-and-play operation for Windows and Mac computers and supports download speeds of up to 21.6 megabits per second (Mbps), making it faster than both the K3765 mobile broadband USB stick and the K3571-Z mobile broadband USB stick.
The software required to use the Vodafone Mega Modem is stored on the device itself. The Mobile Broadband Lite program is easy to install and allows you to quickly access your prepaid account details and see sent and received data. It also provides direct links to Vodafone's Web site, where you can manage your account and check your current balance.
The Vodafone Mega Modem has a maximum download speed of 21.6Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 5.7Mbps. Vodafone claims the Mega Modem will provide a "practical peak rate" of 16.2Mbps on the HSPA+ network, but as with all mobile broadband devices the actual speed achieved will depend on a number of factors such as your location and equipment, network usage and coverage, and network congestion at the time.
Using our Broadband Speed Test, the Vodafone Mega Modem managed to achieve download speeds of up to 4Mbps, but regularly downloaded at around 2Mbps. Upload speeds were stable at around 1Mbps, but did occasionally rise over 1.5Mbps.
Vodafone sells the Mega Modem for $99 on month-to-month plans (it is not available on prepaid) but is free on all 12- and 24-month plans above $29/month. As a special introductory offer, Vodafone will sell the Mega Modem for $49 until 15 April.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple will return heat generated by data center to warm up homes
- Foxconn said to offer $27B for Toshiba's memory chip business
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
- 3 ways to break your smartphone addiction and get back to work
- Good-bye Internet pioneers. Hello, Oath?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerACT
- FTSAP Fiori Technical SpecialistsACT
- FTOperations OrchestrationVIC
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)VIC
- FTSenior Data ConsultantWA
- FT.Net Developer - work on cutting edge BAU projectsVIC
- FTLevel 2/ 3 Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure / LogisticsNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTTesting and Quality Assurance AnalystNSW
- FTRecruitment ConsultantSA
- TPBusiness Analyst - Qld Health - Short term contractQLD
- CCProject Scheduler/CoordinatorVIC
- FTCapacity ManagerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC