- 2 ms response, bright, clearly defined image, long warranty
- Some back light leakage, colour shift over wider angles
A dedicated gamers dream monitor, if only it were more affordable.
Price$ 469.00 (AUD)
Viewsonic's latest and fastest LCD monitor is the VX922, with its big selling point being a 2 ms response time. With gamers being the target market, we put the VX922 through a variety of response and quality tests and it came through with flying colours, showing off a crisp image and colour response, although falling short of its specified viewing angle.
The design of the VX922 is clean and attractive, with a thin black bezel, which does not distract from the image. It arrives with the stand attached, although the monitor can be wall mounted using its VESA standard mounting configuration. The monitor has both VGA and DVI input, located on the back of the unit, along with an internal power supply. With the two inputs, two separate sources can be plugged in at the same time, and the display can be toggled between the two by pressing the 1 and 2 buttons located on the front of the panel. These controls also reveal the menu and configuration system of the monitor, which is not very comprehensive, but does allow for adjustments such as colour temperature, contrast, brightness and image position adjustment. The most important and commonly used configuration option is the image auto adjustment, which resizes the image to fit the screen.
In gaming tests, we could not find any amount of ghosting, shadowing or streaking. This is definitely a monitor we could become comfortable using as a primary monitor. Playing back fast action DVD's confirmed the acclaimed 2 ms response (which is for grey - grey and white - black - white). One slight problem we did find with the monitor is a significant amount of light leakage from the back lights of the LCD. This was most noticeable on consistent colour backgrounds, such as a black background, and each of the four edges of the screen appeared brighter due to the non-uniform lighting. Users sitting directly in front of the monitor will not notice this, but for users who sit in the wider angles of view (above 140 degrees), some colour shift will be noticeable. This could be an annoyance if you plan on sitting back and watching the occasional DVD.
In all, we had a pleasant experience with Viewsonic's VX922. Running in its native resolution of 1280 x 1024, we viewed some very clear and responsive images as well as experiencing the fastest response time available to date. The VX922 does come at a significantly higher price than most other 19" LCD's, due to its unique specifications.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Natural/ADABAS ProgrammerSA
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCSenior Project OfficerACT
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- CCHigh Severity Incident ManagerVIC
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia