- Attractive design, Integrated web-cam, Widescreen, Good image quality
- Some uniformity issues, no USB ports
If you are looking for a sexy white monitor with a good range of features you will find this unit very satisfying
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Viewsonic VX2255wmh is a 22in LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. At first glance, the image seems similar to the VX2245wm ViewDock. However, as far as image quality is concerned, upon closer inspection we found a handful of problems. With an "Apple Mac" white aesthetic, integrated web-cam and swivel base, it certainly has a lot going for it. However, there are also negative factors that may cause some users to look elsewhere.
We tested the image quality by running the monitor under regular usage conditions, using a variety of tasks such as gaming and office applications. In addition, we also ran DisplayMate Video Edition tests to look for any shortcomings at a fundamental level.
Our gaming tests consisted of World of Warcraft and Doom 3. The environments in both games were rendered well and the colours were accurately reproduced. Some slight calibration was required to achieve an optimal result, as the brightness level was a little too high, but this was the only tweaking required. Black levels were excellent, image clarity and detail were superb and we found no noise at all.
Our motion tests showed very little blur and no ghosting. The quoted speed of this unit is 5ms and from our visual appraisals, this appears to be an accurate figure. We were also quite happy with the horizontal viewing angle, as we experienced no colour shift until about 170 degrees. In DisplayMate Video Edition we found a concerning shortcoming. There were some uniformity problems in the outer edges and corners of the screen. This made the edges of the display looking darker than the rest of the panel. However, this was the only real problem we found. The colour tests were all rendered well and there was no noise or discolouration in the grayscale tests. The streaking tests came back negative and the resolution tests showed no signed of banding or pixilation.
The VX2255wmh accepts both DVI and VGA signals and can switch between inputs with the touch of a button. The integrated speakers are fairly mediocre in audio quality and will only handle very basic use. If you are a gamer, it's probably best to get an exterior set of speaker if you use this monitor.
Finally, we tested the integrated webcam and microphone by instigating video chats in Windows Live Messenger and joining a video chat room on Stickam.com. Over Messenger the video was quite good for an integrated unit and the audio was clear and easy to understand. However, over Stickam, the video was a little pixelated and grainy - though this is to be expected for a unit like this.
If you are looking for a sexy white monitor with a good range of features you will find this unit very satisfying. Its only real problem is the uniformity issue which will defiantly annoy purists.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 3 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
- 5 Parrot Mambo Drone review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTsolution ArchitectNSW
- CCProject Manager - Cabling, Network Sys Design and DeliveryNSW
- CCNetwork Security EngineerNSW
- FTSenior WebSphere Portal Technical LeadACT
- TPPHP Programmer - SeniorQLD
- FTLead Software EngineerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTJava DevelopersWA
- FTIT Software Asset Management CoordinatorWA
- CCSenior Technical Business AnalystACT
- FTPrincipal Product Manager | Cloud | Managed ServicesNSW
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCSiebel Developers x 8SA
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Information Management SMEQLD
- CCSAP HR & Payroll Project ManagerACT
- CCChange ManagerQLD
- FTSOE Team LeaderWA
- TPSenior UI Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterQLD
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTService Delivery Management LeadQLD
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- TPSolution Architect | HRISQLD