ViewSonic VX2237wm LCD monitor
ViewSonic's VX2237wm is reasonably good value for money and possesses a stylish design
- Good value, stylish design, matte screen, crisp and accurate colours, good brightness
- Speakers aren't great, stand isn't height adjustable, no HDMI, not Full HD
The ViewSonic VX2237wm LCD monitor is good value at this price, but only if you're looking for a very basic screen for use with a desktop PC.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Lozza SL 2237M Sunglasses 08FE 142.95
ViewSonic's VX2237wm is a basic, 22in widescreen LCD monitor that has a sub-Full HD resolution. Despite the lack of wow factor, the ViewSonic VX2237wm is reasonably good value for money and possesses a stylish design.
The ViewSonic VX2237wm has a thin, glossy black bezel, a bright blue LED power button and an oddly shaped base. The bezel is attractive but attracts fingerprints and smudges. It also reflects light in a standard office environment, which becomes annoying during prolonged use. Thankfully, the screen itself has a matte finish, as does the rear of the monitor.
The VX2237wm's stand matches the monitor's unconventional looks but provides only limited tilt adjustability — you can't swivel or adjust the height of the screen. It securely clicks into place though, and it doesn’t rattle or wobble if bumped. We aren’t normally a fan of side-mounted controls, but ViewSonic has included labels on the front (1, up, down and 2), making the on-screen display (OSD) easy to navigate. The buttons themselves could have been raised further though; you almost have to reach your finger around the edge of the screen to press them.
The ViewSonic VX2237wm LCD monitor isn’t Full HD and doesn’t have HDMI connectivity, so it's been designed purely for desktop PC use. It has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and includes VGA and DVI inputs, as well as a pair of speakers. Like most monitors, if you're looking for quality sound then it's best to purchase a set of external speakers — the 2 Watt speakers have a distinct lack of bass and aren't recommended for music listening.
Though not designed for gaming, the VX2237wm handles motion quite well, with no sign of lag or ghosting during movies or videos. The strength of the ViewSonic VX2237wm is its colours, which are bright and clear. The OSD includes basic image adjustments, but there is a lack of advanced options. There are no colour presets included but you can adjust the colours yourself.
In our DisplayMate tests, the VX2237 performed admirably but didn't distinguish darker shades as well as we would have liked. Another issue is visible backlight bleeding, which is evident on all sides of the monitor.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Curved displays from TVs see uptake in PCs, monitors
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCRisk and Quality Assurance AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCIT Solutions DesignerNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCSAP DS and BI SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtdAsia
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC