- Outstanding image detail, high quality performance
- Slightly limited viewing angle, poor colour transition
Only the most demanding and professional users will be able to fault the VP730b. Its image quality and performance recommend it as one of the best LCD Monitors we’ve reviewed.
Price$ 529.00 (AUD)
The VP730b 17" LCD monitor is a member of the ViewSonic 'Pro Series', the company's high end range marketed specifically to professional users.While we found the VP730b to be less than perfect, it is still an outstanding LCD monitor that delivers incredible performance across a huge range of applications.
In our opinion, image quality is exceptional on the this monitor and the quality remains exceptional across the entire 17 inches of the display. Images and text remain sharp and well defined from the centre to all four corners, and during our tests we were unable to detect any noticeable differences in luminance or image detail towards the extremities of the screen. Colours were rich and vibrant, and maintained a strong consistency across the entire display. Various hues appeared deep and well defined; each one visibly independent and separate.
Despite a relatively low contrast ratio (500:1), the monitor produced a very respectable range of blacks when fully configured. Only the darkest blacks were indistinguishable from a pure black background, and through careful calibration of the contrast and brightness settings, we were able to achieve an impressively detailed range of greys.
Even with this impressive image quality, however, the VP730b is let down slightly by its performance. While its 8ms response time handled grey-to-grey transitions incredibly well, we were a little disappointed with noticeable distortions when cycling through colours. Apart from this minor detraction, the Viewsonic performed incredibly well in our tests, with little to no ghosting, even in fast moving action packed movies. Although ViewSonic claims a 140 degree viewing angle, we did notice colour shift at about ninety degrees, and by 140, colours were clearly distorted.
ViewSonic's Pro Series design is one of the VP730b's most impressive features. A solid black stand supports the screen, which is able to be raised, lowered, and rotated to suit the viewer's needs. The display itself can also be turned 90 degrees, allowing users to view their work in portrait format, as well as landscape. The on screen display (OSD) provides a suitable range of options, including colour temperature, contrast/brightness, and image selection. Two D-SUB ports and a single DVI connector make up the connection options; more than enough for most serious users, but serious professionals may be a little disappointed by the lack of an extra DVI or USB connector.
Nevertheless, the ViewSonic VP730b is an outstanding monitor by any standards. High end users may find it slightly lacking in one or two specific areas, but for regular users, ViewSonic's VP730b represents an exceptional visual experience, offering outstanding performance in nearly every area. Its combination of professional design and standout functionality make it a highly recommended display for those who can afford it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- FTTechnical Team Leader | ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA