Verbatim MP3 Player (Expandable Slot)
- Expandable Memory Slot
- Need USB cable to transfer, No rechargeable battery
A cheap, entry level MP3 model that might be useful if you have spare memory cards lying around.
Price$ 110.95 (AUD)
Verbatim has released a low end 256MB MP3 player that capitalises on their expertise with storage solutions, by offering an expandable slot. What this means is that in addition to the inbuilt 256MB memory, you can purchase an additional SD or MMC card to store extra memory. As these cards are starting to approach sizes of 4GB and higher, this greatly enhances the amount of music you can potentially carry around with you. These cards are also expensive however, and Verbatim hasn't included any in the sales package.
Apart from the expandable memory, there is nothing particularly noteworthy about this unit. In fact, that are two good reasons we would steer away from buying one. Firstly, it uses a USB cable to transfer music. We like the fact that USB 2.0 is supported, ensuring fast transfers, but after using MP3 players that plug directly into USB ports without the need for cables, we will never go back to cable based players again. The issue is simply one of convenience - the Verbatim player requires you to carry a cable around with you just to transfer music or files, which is an unnecessary limitation.
The second reason we would be hesitant about purchasing the Verbatim player is that it runs on an AAA battery. This means that you will have to continually buy batteries rather than simply recharging the unit. On the other hand, some users may find recharging something of hassle and may even prefer just buying disposable batteries. We, however, are poor product reviewers and continually buying batteries is an added expense we can do without.
The Verbatim player is both small and light, with a silver and black finish and a small OLED screen positioned on the front. The menu system on the unit is relatively simple to master, but not visually appealing. We didn't feel the unit was particularly well constructed and found the battery case slipped off rather easily. A set of hard to press buttons are situated on top of the device, with the USB port placed at the bottom.
Continuing the theme of ordinariness, the features on this player are nothing to write home about. In addition to music playback, you can also listen to or record from an FM radio and make voice recordings. This is all rather standard fare these days, as is the inclusion of an equaliser and line-in recording.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCSAP IS Retail Functional LeadVIC
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst (Superannuation)NSW
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia