SkiniTunes is a free mini-player that runs alongside the massive iTunes.
- Free, Works flawlessly with the most recent version of iTunes
- iTunes Genius integration would be nice
Since iTunes' own mini player is kind of blah and isn't really standalone from the iTunes software itself (it goes away every time you try to do something in iTunes), having a dedicated player that can access iTunes music is pretty neat.
SkiniTunes consists of two different iterations: the Mini Player, which is a small rectangular app that has standard media player controls on it, and the Skini Player, which is an extremely small horizontal bar that sits at the top of the screen. SkiniTunes can switch back and forth between the two players in the middle of a track, but can't minimise completely.
Apple iTunes already has a built-in mini player, but this is a nice alternative as it shows the album artwork, has an optional short-lived popup box when a new song starts, and has optional skins for itself. The skins for SkiniTunes change its appearance to one of several graphical variations.
SkiniTunes 1.0.5 works flawlessly with the most recent 18.104.22.168 version of iTunes, and it uses between 4 and 6 megabytes of RAM, about 10 per cent of what iTunes will be using at any given time. It also doesn't use up much CPU, which is good, because iTunes itself is a memory and CPU hog as well as a screen hog.
SkiniTunes is completely free, but there are numerous grayed-out features that are only available in the US$5 SkiniTunes Pro. Pay-only features include downloadable lyrics, app transparency effects, and the ability to use hotkeys in general and from within any application to control SkiniTunes. These features are nice, but certainly aren't required to enjoy the SkiniTunes experience.
One feature that'd be nice in a future version is integration with the iTunes Genius feature. Genius constructs a short playlist based around the type of music that's currently playing. It'd be handy if SkiniTunes had a Genius icon that would tell iTunes to make such a playlist. As it is, you can see iTunes' existing Genius playlist from within SkiniTunes, which will have to be good enough.
SkiniTunes is free. There's also a fuller-featured SkiniTunes Pro, which is $5 and adds lyric and hotkey support. Due to an unusual installer setup (.msi inside an .exe), some antivirus programs register a false positive for this file.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- FTSOE Desktop Engineer - must have SCCM 2012NSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT