Uniden Crash Cam app
Uniden's Crash Cam app can be used on an iPhone or an Android smartphone, and it's a good alternative if you don't want to invest in a dedicated dash cam
- Great if you don't want a dedicated dash cam
- Lots of settings to play with
- Has continuous recording
- Easy to use
- No function to rename files
- No multi delete
Uniden has designed this app for all drivers, but it can be especially useful for those of you who drive long distances on a daily basis, yet don’t want to invest in a dedicated dash cam.
Price$ 4.49 (AUD)
The aftermath of a road accident can be one of the most stressful things you’ll experience, especially if false claims or conflicting opinions arise. A crash cam can help you deal with this by documenting the incident, but thanks to Uniden’s Crash Cam app, now you don’t even have to own a dedicated dashboard camera.
Uniden has designed an app that allows your iPhone or Android smartphone to act as a crash cam. It’s actually called Crash Cam, and it allows you to record events from your vehicle in the case of an accident. You have to mount your smartphone to the inside of your windshield, which means you’ll have to buy a suitable mount that allows your phone to be placed in a position where it can see clearly in front your car.
When the app’s running, it can detect any sudden movements using the G-sensor in the phone, and the automatically start capturing footage. There is a loop recorder functionality, which records events in one continuous video. The purpose of these recordings is so that they can later be used as evidence for the authorities, for insurance purposes, and other legal matters. This app could help you in the case of false claims made against you.
Features and Functionality
Overall, the app is simple and clean. There are five buttons on the main screen that allow you to quickly access the different sections of the app: Home, Video, Camera, Clips, and More (where the settings are and you can see how much recording space you have, among other things). It’s easy to use and the interface is very user-friendly.
Uniden Crash Cam allows you to record in both landscape and portrait modes. The app stores all you videos and images within the app, and this is good because your Camera Roll won't become cluttered. That said, it has the ability to save to the Camera Roll if you wish to do so.
The app also geotags the location of the events that have been captured and uses the phone’s GPS to allow you to view a map overlay on the record screen. A cool function of Crash Cam is that it can tell you what your maximum and average speeds were for each piece of footage. You can instantly email videos and images you capture, and even share them on Facebook and Twitter.
The app also offers lots of customisations. The three sensitivity levels you can set for the G-sensor are: light, medium, and high. This will determine how sudden the movement will need to be in order to activate the recording. In testing, the G-sensor was responsive to sudden shakes and movements when recording. There is also a manual recording function.
Recording and viewing footage
You can set the resolution of the recording in the settings to either 1920x1080, 1280x720, 640x480, or 352x258. Also available is the function to enable Auto record and choose the length of each of these recordings. You can choose from 1, 2, 5, or 12 minutes.
In clips, there are three sections: Recents, Favourites, and Images. Each clip folder has a compilation of your clips, stills, and map location. It’s a very neat set up, although organisation would've been easier if there was a way to rename the clips. On the top of each clip there is a time and date stamp, and the bottom of the clip displays your maximum and average speeds. From here you can share your recordings. To delete a file, you swipe to the left and click delete. We would like to see a multi-delete function because deleting becomes tedious if you have a lot of files.
Reviewed on: iPhone 5s
Requirements: iOS 6.0 or later
Size: 6.8 MB
Developer: Uniden Australia Pty. Ltd.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
- Elgato's Stream Deck is a programmable LCD control center that makes game streaming easy
- Facebook starts warning U.S. users when they're sharing fake news
- Why I'm addicted to Mass Effect: Andromeda's gorgeous, secret Nvidia super-screenshots
- Corsair One review: Small, fast, and surprisingly quiet
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTAgile TesterNSW
- CCSharePoint Developer - Multiple Roles - 3-6 Mth Contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- CCLevel 1 IT Support OfficerACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPJunior Software DeveloperQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCVirtualisation Engineer - IP NetworksVIC
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- TPNode JS DeveloperNSW
- FTData Analyst LeadSA
- TPSenior/Lead AEM DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior Lead Developer/Architect - TelcoVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectWA
- CCAutomation Test AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst- Digital & agileNSW