Uniden Crash Cam app
Uniden's Crash Cam app can be used on an iPhone or an Android smartphone, and it's a good alternative if you don't want to invest in a dedicated dash cam
- Great if you don't want a dedicated dash cam
- Lots of settings to play with
- Has continuous recording
- Easy to use
- No function to rename files
- No multi delete
Uniden has designed this app for all drivers, but it can be especially useful for those of you who drive long distances on a daily basis, yet don’t want to invest in a dedicated dash cam.
Price$ 4.49 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Cam500 HD Automotive Video Recorder (Black) 224.99
The aftermath of a road accident can be one of the most stressful things you’ll experience, especially if false claims or conflicting opinions arise. A crash cam can help you deal with this by documenting the incident, but thanks to Uniden’s Crash Cam app, now you don’t even have to own a dedicated dashboard camera.
Uniden has designed an app that allows your iPhone or Android smartphone to act as a crash cam. It’s actually called Crash Cam, and it allows you to record events from your vehicle in the case of an accident. You have to mount your smartphone to the inside of your windshield, which means you’ll have to buy a suitable mount that allows your phone to be placed in a position where it can see clearly in front your car.
When the app’s running, it can detect any sudden movements using the G-sensor in the phone, and the automatically start capturing footage. There is a loop recorder functionality, which records events in one continuous video. The purpose of these recordings is so that they can later be used as evidence for the authorities, for insurance purposes, and other legal matters. This app could help you in the case of false claims made against you.
Features and Functionality
Overall, the app is simple and clean. There are five buttons on the main screen that allow you to quickly access the different sections of the app: Home, Video, Camera, Clips, and More (where the settings are and you can see how much recording space you have, among other things). It’s easy to use and the interface is very user-friendly.
Uniden Crash Cam allows you to record in both landscape and portrait modes. The app stores all you videos and images within the app, and this is good because your Camera Roll won't become cluttered. That said, it has the ability to save to the Camera Roll if you wish to do so.
The app also geotags the location of the events that have been captured and uses the phone’s GPS to allow you to view a map overlay on the record screen. A cool function of Crash Cam is that it can tell you what your maximum and average speeds were for each piece of footage. You can instantly email videos and images you capture, and even share them on Facebook and Twitter.
The app also offers lots of customisations. The three sensitivity levels you can set for the G-sensor are: light, medium, and high. This will determine how sudden the movement will need to be in order to activate the recording. In testing, the G-sensor was responsive to sudden shakes and movements when recording. There is also a manual recording function.
Recording and viewing footage
You can set the resolution of the recording in the settings to either 1920x1080, 1280x720, 640x480, or 352x258. Also available is the function to enable Auto record and choose the length of each of these recordings. You can choose from 1, 2, 5, or 12 minutes.
In clips, there are three sections: Recents, Favourites, and Images. Each clip folder has a compilation of your clips, stills, and map location. It’s a very neat set up, although organisation would've been easier if there was a way to rename the clips. On the top of each clip there is a time and date stamp, and the bottom of the clip displays your maximum and average speeds. From here you can share your recordings. To delete a file, you swipe to the left and click delete. We would like to see a multi-delete function because deleting becomes tedious if you have a lot of files.
Reviewed on: iPhone 5s
Requirements: iOS 6.0 or later
Size: 6.8 MB
Developer: Uniden Australia Pty. Ltd.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Vulnerability found in Samsung smartphone keyboard
- Spotify hijacks Uber speakers
- Melbourne CBD highest risk area for mobile malware threats
- St George turns on fingerprint login for Apple iOS Internet banking
- Bank of Melbourne enables fingerprint login for Apple iOS users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW