Ubuntu 8.04 'Hardy Heron'
- Security improvements, better memory protection, PolicyKit, easy integration with Active Directory environments
- It's beta; PulseAudio sound layer, which is not yet compatible with a lot of current Linux audio software
If this first taste is any indication, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is shaping up to be a worthy upgrade for existing users and a good jumping-on point for new ones. Wubi, in particular, makes it ideal for anyone who has hesitated to give Linux a try before now. Look for the final version to be available in April.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The beta of the next version of the Ubuntu Linux operating system has arrived, although judging by its stability and polish you'd be hard pressed to tell it's a testing release.
Ubuntu 8.04, code-named "Hardy Heron", is scheduled to be a LTS (Long Term Support) edition, and you can tell its developers have worked diligently to make it worthy of the title.
Ubuntu, the leading desktop Linux OS, has settled into a stable look and feel over the past few releases, and this time the cosmetic changes are minor. The familiar brown and orange colour scheme remains, as does the overall fit and finish of the windows and controls.
Other new features are likely to be overlooked by desktop users but appreciated by systems administrators. There have been security improvements, including better memory protection and a fine-grained access control system called PolicyKit.
What's more, Ubuntu 8.04 offers easy integration with Active Directory environments for the first time, thanks to a new software package called Likewise Open.
Despite its present maturity, Hardy Heron is definitely a work in progress. In fact, immediately after installing the beta, the software update manager informed me that there were already 106 updates available. And some long-time users will question the inclusion of some of certain bleeding-edge features, such as the new PulseAudio sound layer, which is not yet compatible with a lot of current Linux audio software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSoftware Developer- CobolACT
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC