Ubuntu 8.04 'Hardy Heron'
- Security improvements, better memory protection, PolicyKit, easy integration with Active Directory environments
- It's beta; PulseAudio sound layer, which is not yet compatible with a lot of current Linux audio software
If this first taste is any indication, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is shaping up to be a worthy upgrade for existing users and a good jumping-on point for new ones. Wubi, in particular, makes it ideal for anyone who has hesitated to give Linux a try before now. Look for the final version to be available in April.
The beta of the next version of the Ubuntu Linux operating system has arrived, although judging by its stability and polish you'd be hard pressed to tell it's a testing release.
Ubuntu 8.04, code-named "Hardy Heron", is scheduled to be a LTS (Long Term Support) edition, and you can tell its developers have worked diligently to make it worthy of the title.
Ubuntu, the leading desktop Linux OS, has settled into a stable look and feel over the past few releases, and this time the cosmetic changes are minor. The familiar brown and orange colour scheme remains, as does the overall fit and finish of the windows and controls.
Other new features are likely to be overlooked by desktop users but appreciated by systems administrators. There have been security improvements, including better memory protection and a fine-grained access control system called PolicyKit.
What's more, Ubuntu 8.04 offers easy integration with Active Directory environments for the first time, thanks to a new software package called Likewise Open.
Despite its present maturity, Hardy Heron is definitely a work in progress. In fact, immediately after installing the beta, the software update manager informed me that there were already 106 updates available. And some long-time users will question the inclusion of some of certain bleeding-edge features, such as the new PulseAudio sound layer, which is not yet compatible with a lot of current Linux audio software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD