- Free, Easier to install and set up than other Linux systems
- Nothing of note
Many people, for years now, have predicted the rise of Linux on the desktop. Feisty Fawn is exactly the sort of polished, friendly release that is necessary to make the dream a reality.
Ubuntu Linux has been deemed one of PC World's Best Products of the Year for two years running. Why? It's completely free, it installs easily from one downloadable CD, and it focuses on user-friendliness. Since Ubuntu releases come twice each year, changes tend to be evolutionary. Ubuntu Linux 7.04 (nicknamed "Feisty Fawn") has a few major new features, and distinguishes itself mainly with its continued focus on usability, especially for newcomers to Linux.
The installation CD boots not to a setup program but to a fully functioning Ubuntu environment. This is your chance to kick the tires, to make sure audio, video, and networking are A-OK, to check to see if your peripherals are recognized, and so forth. To put Ubuntu on your hard drive, you need to double-click the Install icon on the desktop. Ubuntu Linux shrinks your Windows partition, making room for itself.
A migration assistant scours that partition, rounding up your browser settings and bookmarks, your document, music, and image files, and even your wallpaper files, copying everything over to the new Linux partition. The most vexing questions you'll be asked have to do with the language you speak and the time zone you reside in.
After rebooting your PC, you select Ubuntu from your new boot menu, and shortly you're greeted by the user-friendly Gnome desktop. OpenOffice.org 2.2 is on hand and waiting, as are the Firefox Web browser, the Evolution e-mail client (a worthy Outlook imitator), the F-Spot photo manager (think iPhoto for Linux), the GIMP image editor, and Rhythmbox, Gnome's answer to iTunes and the Windows Media Player. Other available Linux distributions don't offer such a wealth of software. An experimental "Desktop Effects" feature adds whiz-bang interface bling that should make Vista and OS X users take notice.
Some Windows power users may prefer the KDE desktop, which more closely resembles Windows. The Kubuntu variant of Feisty Fawn replaces Gnome 2.18 with KDE 3.8.5 as the default interface. (Another variant, Xubuntu, instead provides Xfce 4.4, a lightweight environment that is perfect for an old PC you thought was no longer of any use.)
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Routing & switching | Design, implementation, L3 supportNSW
- FTSOE Operations SpecialistACT
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- CCSAP Test AnalystACT
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCProjects Resource/ Workforce ManagerVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCData and Business AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia