Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
If you stripped out Clash of Heroes' combat, you would be left with a fairly simplistic RPG
- Compelling combat system is straightforward but deep and complex, a novel approach to an established genre
- The visuals don't push the DS, gamers who favour the more classical RPG model may be dissatisfied
A real time strategy title for the DS that's not only good, but serves as a new iteration in a tried and true franchise? I think you can understand if we were sceptical. However Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is a finely crafted and novel venture into the handheld RTS genre.
If there's one gaming area where the DS's technology lends itself well, it's the puzzle genre. Due to Nintendo's touch-sensitive handheld, the genre has seen a massive resurgence, and no longer are gamers exclusively forced to listen to a Russian folk tune while spinning various blocks if they want to puzzle-it-up. However, gamers can only manipulate colored forms for so long before they start craving some action, and it's with that notion that Ubisoft created Clash of Heroes.
Field of Battle
If you stripped out Clash of Heroes' combat, you would be left with a fairly simplistic RPG; the world and exploration portions of this game are pretty minimal and that's putting it mildly. But once you get into the combat portions of the game, you start to understand why the focus has been placed elsewhere.
Clash of Heroes' combat thankfully ditches what has become an RPG cliche (turn-based fights after random encounters), in favor of what is most easily described as a strategic puzzle where you have to maneuver and lineup different varieties of army units to tactically overcome your opponent. The better you match you units up against your enemy's, the better you'll do. This might sound like a total mishmash of concepts but it works incredibly well, and the bare-bones exploration becomes a blessing because it lets you focus on what matters: the battles.
And really, the battles are excellent and are both easy to understand and execute; their complexity also evolves enough for the title to remain engaging throughout. In fact, the story and exploration portions of the game almost feel like a bonus, which just drives the player to be more interested in each ensuing battle.
It's becoming increasingly rare for companies to release new and unproven titles that buck convention and focus on changing the current landscape but Clash of Heroes does so remarkably well, making for a unique and satisfying title that feels totally fresh. I recommend it to any RPG gamer looking for a unique take on the established genre; puzzle fans should take a look as well.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- TPProject ManagerOther
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA Engineer with some hands-on knowledge of scripting.NSW
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW