Ubisoft Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
A bird's eye view of WWII
- Intense and compelling action
- Unimpressive graphics
It's good enough to keep your attention for a while but you'd probably be better off renting it for the weekend or waiting for it to drop into the bargain bin.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Making another World War II game is not only like beating the proverbial dead horse, it's like shooting it with a gun, setting fire to it, then putting the ashes into Mike Tyson's personal punching bag.
The genre has been done to death, but Blazing Angel's saving grace is that it takes us out of the familiar trenches and gives us a bird's eye view of the conflict, keeping it from being yet another WWII game.
As a port of the Xbox 360 title of the same name, Blazing Angels puts you in the pilot's seat of several WWII-era fighters and bombers as you take part in historic conflicts such as the bombing of Pearl Harbor. For the most part, the action is intense and compelling, but don't expect historically accurate recreations. Take the game for what it is: pseudo-simulation with a heavy action focus.
But that's perfectly fine — this is a video game, not a history book. The arcade gameplay actually works to the game's benefit because if you're too busy downing bogeys and torpedoing ships, it's easier to look past the game's many varied faults.
The game controls take a lot of getting use to and can lead to some initial frustration but once you get the hang of it, you'll be patrolling the not-so friendly skies with ease. The default configuration is fine, but one word of warning: stay far, far away from the Sixaxis functionality or your plane will wobble more than a 747 with Andre the Giant and an elephant sitting on the same side. Also, the mission objectives were sometimes obscure and had me flying aimlessly in a vain attempt to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.
The graphics are passable but unimpressive for a PS3 title, and I noticed that the frame rate nose dives every time you fly through smoke. This is especially problematic when your plane is on fire and you're trailing a stream of frame rate killing smog. Ironically enough, the game actually sets your plane on fire during one mission.
Much like almost every other PS3 game that's been released so far, Blazing Angels is a mediocre title that won't exactly leave you bragging to your friends about your shiny new toy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/P/743Asia
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Project Server/SharePoint exposureACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCSoftware Engineer - Linux with NV1 clearanceVIC
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCCompliance Officer - ProcurementVIC
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC