Twinhead Elfio 14B
- Excellent value, lightweight
- Relatively poor integrated graphics
This great-value laptop is highly mobile, but it's much better at general tasks (word processing and browsing the Web) than it is at games.
Price$ 1,538.90 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 3 stores)
- Moontide - New Womens Moontide Bella Dual A-b ... 40.00
- DQ0065 14B Grey Sunglassses 109.99
- Euromaid Dishwasher IDW14B 897.00
This value-orientated model from Twinhead would be ideal for students and mobile professionals alike.
The Efio 14B uses first-generation Centrino technology: an 855PM chipset with integrated graphics--although it does use Intel's newer Pentium M 725 (1.6GHz) Dothan processor. Wireless networking (802.11b/g) is also included.
Twinhead has equipped this particular model with 512MB of DDR SDRAM in addition to a 40GB Fujitsu 4200rpm hard drive.
The CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM combination drive is fixed into the machine's silver plastic casing, which holds up pretty well (that said, we would have liked a bit more strength behind the display to protect it).
The Efio 14B's black keyboard isn't too bad for typing and overall the machine is pretty well built considering its price tag. We also liked the fact that the touch pad (mouse control) does both vertical and horizontal scrolling.
The front fascia is where the headphone and microphone ports are found, in addition to a volume control and three-in-one card reader (Memory Stick, SD and MultiMediaCard).
The Efio 14B's has no ports on the rear spine of the machine. Instead, the VGA-out (external monitor), Ethernet and 56Kbps modem ports are found on the left-hand side along with a PC Card slot supporting one type I/II PC Card. This leaves the right-hand side to incorporate the DVD drive and three USB 2.0 ports.
At 2.5kg, this is a fairly sleek machine that should be right at home on the road. Put to the test, we were able to achieve a worst-case scenario battery life of 70 minutes. Our PC WorldBench 5 productivity benchmark returned a respectable score of 73 while 3DMark 2001 really highlighted the low-powered integrated graphics, with a result of just 2438.
Twinhead ships the Efio 14B with a one-year warranty and includes Nero 6 for burning CDs and Power DVD 5 for watching DVDs. It would have been nice if a S-Video TV-out port was included, considering the small 14" screen, but it's hard to complain at this price point.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 2 Nokia Lumia 930 review
- 3 Asus G550JK gaming notebook
- 4 Fetch TV set-top box
- 5 Dell Inspiron 15 5547 laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- US warns 'significant number' of major businesses hit by Backoff malware
- HP loses its leader on NFV, a key carrier network trend
- Google acquires Gecko Design for next-generation products
- Oregon sues Oracle over troubled health insurance website
- SAP takes steps to simplify pricing and licensing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Compare broadband and save
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW