Trend Micro Australia Internet Security Pro 2009
This secuirty suite 2009 fails at the most basic task of detecting and blocking malicious software.
- Shines when cleaning up an existing infection, good user interface
- Fails at detecting malicious software
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 has some good points, but there's no getting around the fact that Internet Security Pro 2009 fails at detecting malicious software, and therefore fails as a security program. We cannot recommend buying it.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 fails at the most basic task of detecting and blocking malicious software. Not recommended.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 fails badly at any security suite's most important task: identifying malware before it can attack your PC.Its dismal 69.3 percent detection rate was a full 20 percentage points behind the next worst competitor of the 2009 security suites.
In AV-Test.org's tests, which put each suite up against a huge array of bots, password stealers, and other malware, top performers tagged about 99 percent of the 654,914 samples - but Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 let three out of every 10 pieces of malicious software go by untouched. That just doesn't cut it for security software.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 likewise fell flat in heuristic tests using two-week-old signature files to simulate dealing with unknown threats, and at catching annoying adware. It was dead last in both categories.
The company says that it emphasises proactive protection that attempts to block threats before they can try installing malware (and before the suite would have to recognise it). Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 uses its own web crawlers, download tests, and user reports to maintain a database of malicious websites, and will block those sites from loading on your PC. It's a valid approach - one that could well supplement scanning for malware on your PC - but it can't yet replace that core detection task.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 did shine when tasked with cleaning up an existing infection. It removed all the files from nine out of 10 malware infections, a performance that only BitDefender matched. It was almost as good in dealing with Registry changes, placing second in that test.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 offers a few interesting features, such as a scan for missing Windows patches that assigns a risk level for each one. You'll also get a useful Wi-Fi advisor button in a browser toolbar that can warn you if your wireless network lacks encryption - a smart tool placed in a good location.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 also did well with its user interface, and clearly took time to provide good descriptions for features and options. Right away we noticed the use of plain English throughout the program.
But the company went too far with its desire to simplify, as we saw no pop-ups or warnings when it blocked our attempted Zango-adware download. We had to dig into the program logs to find out what was going on. It's good to help people make informed decisions to protect their computer, but it's also important to at least give users an idea that something we just tried to do was potentially harmful.
Without an alert, a user might think that their browser simply had a problem, and they might then try installing the dangerous software through another browser - or even worse, on another PC. You can change the default setting to display warnings when your PC encounters viruses or spyware, but you shouldn't have to.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- The NSA's foreign surveillance: 5 things to know
- After CIA leak, Intel Security releases detection tool for EFI rootkits
- Cisco on CIA WikiLeaks revelations: It’s not our problem… this time
- Old Windows malware may have tampered with 132 Android apps
- Google shifts on email encryption tool, leaving its fate unclear
PCW Evaluation Team
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- FTRelease Coordinator - Project ManagementQLD
- CCWeb Devops EngineerNSW
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCMicrostrategy DeveloperVIC
- FTWorkforce AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- FTPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Infrastructure ProjectQLD
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTSecurity Manager (Adviser)ACT
- FTBillings Integration ArchitectVIC
- CCSAP BPC SME/Consultant - BRISBANE BASEDQLD
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- TPSenior .NET Developer - Contract roleWA