Trend Micro Australia Internet Security Pro
- Includes Remote File Lock, a password-protected vault, scans Instant Messages
- It's not very resilient when it comes to malware, long loading time during boot up
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro ticks all the right boxes -- spam filtering is good, malware is competently blocked, it has network-management capability plus a slew of useful bonus features. In this regard, it's on a par with the market leaders. While it might be pipped at the post in terms of features and effectiveness by Norton Internet Security and McAfee Total Protection, its price advantage restores the balance.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
Spring doesn't merely bring flowers and yummy mangoes -- it just as surely comes accompanied by a rash of antivirus software releases. Trend Micro's Internet Security Pro is the latest suite to hit the market, and this release, which drops the 'PC-Cillin' tag, brings with it an exhaustive feature list.
Single-pass scan for viruses, suspicious software, Windows security flaws and other threats, strong protection against unauthorised changes, network management tools, Pro services and a tweaked interface are all included in Trend Micro Internet Security Pro.
The 'Pro' version distinguishes it from a slightly cheaper standard version of Trend Micro Internet Security. While both offer the usual antivirus, spam, spyware and phishing, plus firewall, parental and privacy controls, Pro also includes Remote File Lock, a password-protected vault that can be remotely 'sealed' should you lose your PC, and System Tuner, a less ruthless version of CCleaner, which frees up disk space and cleans out dud registry entries.
Last but not least, Trend Micro Internet Security Pro's Transaction Protector keeps a watchful eye on Wi-Fi networks and encrypts your keystrokes. In line with its Symantec and McAfee rivals, Internet Security Pro can be installed on up to three PCs, so it represents decent value.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, like many other antimalware products, relies on heuristics to provide continuous protection, although here the technology goes by the name of PIB (Proactive Intrusion Blocking).
Trend Micro works unobtrusively in the background, automatically deciding whether or not a pattern of behaviour is suspicious. Its malware detection credentials remain high -- Trend Micro Internet Security Pro has a Virus Bulletin's VB100 award and is certified by both ICSA Labs and by West Coast Labs for virus detection and virus removal.
West Coast Labs has also awarded Trend Micro Internet Security Pro a Checkmark certification for detection of spyware, Trojan horses and malware.
Spyware protection is also much improved. Trend Micro Internet Security Pro scans every file upon access, and checks all incoming and outgoing e-mail for viruses. You can also scan Web-based e-mail attachments, but you have to turn on this feature. A number of features like this are turned off by default, which probably isn't a good idea.
On the spam front, Trend Micro Internet Security Pro adds a toolbar to Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail -- it does work for Thunderbird but it doesn't add a toolbar. The Microsoft e-mail clients also get the exclusive benefit of automatically adding addresses from your address book to an e-mail white list, a thoughtful feature. Spam detection remains good -- it had no trouble identifying spam attracted to our honey-pot account.
Many irritations of the previous release have been addressed. Before, there were separate scans for viruses and spyware, but now both are conducted simultaneously. Combining the two has reduced Trend Micro Internet Security Pro's system overhead, so you shouldn't notice your PC slowing down too much or be bothered by prolonged scan speeds either.
However, it does take an age to load Trend Micro Internet Security Pro when you boot your PC, and updating can also be a test of endurance -- during one update, it actually disabled itself, so that Windows XP's Security Center popped up a warning to this effect, which is a little alarming.
Instant Message scanning is no longer confined to MSN Messenger, and most popular IM clients are now supported. The Trend Micro Internet Security Pro firewall is much improved over last year's model --previously it would bombard you with pop-ups whenever you launched a new program, even if it was benign. Now, it decides for you whether to permit Internet connectivity. The same can be said about its PIB heuristics -- it operates less intrusively than before, and won't warn you about innocent programs like the previous version.
A long-standing problem with the resilience of the Trend Micro Internet Security Pro firewall against manipulation by malware remains, however.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- New Google Home partnerships expand the smart speaker’s footprint in the smart home
- If Google Assistant isn't your thing, you can now talk to Cortana on the lock screen
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Angular JSVIC
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- CCFull-stack Software EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer (Silverlight)VIC
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- FTStorage Engineer (HDS)NSW
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- FTProgram Learning Capability Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTAgile TesterNSW
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTICT Account Manager / ICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- FTL&D ConsultantVIC