Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware
- Clear interface
- Poor malware detection, hides actions from user
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware looks good, but in this unique software category looks take a distinct back seat to performance. And Trend's malware detection performance lags too far behind other antivirus programs to recommend.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is good looking software weighed down by comparatively poor malware detection, slow scan speed, and a seriously misguided habit of hiding what it does from the user.
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware in AVTest's huge cache. To be fair, that's not a bad showing by itself, and a huge improvement over Trend's performance in previous tests. Last year, the company's security suite detected only 69.3 percent of AVTest's samples.
But this year, most of the apps we looked at nailed this test with detection rates over 99 percent, and Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's improved signature-based detection rate still came in second-to-last. And it came in dead last when dealing with annoying adware, with a lowly 84.5 block rate.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's back-of-the-pack performance continued with in proactive tests that use 2-week-old signatures to simulate detection of newer malware that doesn't yet have a signature. In these tests, Antivirus + Antispyware successfully identified only 51.7 percent of the baddies. And while Trend Micro is able to identify malware based solely on how it acts, an important feature that can potentially stop brand-new malware, it isn't all that good at it.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 did manage to avoid falsely labelling any benign files as dangerous, and it performed well in disinfection tests, where it successfully disabled all 10 malware infections. But its tortoiselike scan speeds were the slowest among the apps we tested. Data throughput for automatic scans, which happen behind-the-scenes when you open or save a file, was only 6.2MB per second.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is user-friendly, with helpful documentation, a well-organised user interface, and clear descriptions for most elements. But Trend Micro's seriously misguided attempt to over-automate the interface nullifies the aforementioned strong points.
When Trend finds a threat, its default behaviour is to delete or quarantine the file without warning users of any activity. So you might end up repeatedly trying to download a file, unaware that your hard drive is being defended from a threat. At worst, you might understandably try to download and install the file on another PC, thereby infecting it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- A critical flaw in Symantec antivirus engine puts computers at risk of easy hacking
- Malware attacks on two banks have links with 2014 Sony Pictures hack
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCBI Delivery Project ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCNetwork Architect - Cisco, Aruba and SecurityNSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCPeopleSoft Consultant (Financial)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC