Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware
- Clear interface
- Poor malware detection, hides actions from user
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware looks good, but in this unique software category looks take a distinct back seat to performance. And Trend's malware detection performance lags too far behind other antivirus programs to recommend.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is good looking software weighed down by comparatively poor malware detection, slow scan speed, and a seriously misguided habit of hiding what it does from the user.
In traditional malware detection tests conducted by AVTest.org, Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 was able to detect 96.9 percent of the Trojans, spyware, worms and other malware in AVTest's huge cache. To be fair, that's not a bad showing by itself, and a huge improvement over Trend's performance in previous tests. Last year, the company's security suite detected only 69.3 percent of AVTest's samples.
But this year, most of the apps we looked at nailed this test with detection rates over 99 percent, and Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's improved signature-based detection rate still came in second-to-last. And it came in dead last when dealing with annoying adware, with a lowly 84.5 block rate.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010's back-of-the-pack performance continued with in proactive tests that use 2-week-old signatures to simulate detection of newer malware that doesn't yet have a signature. In these tests, Antivirus + Antispyware successfully identified only 51.7 percent of the baddies. And while Trend Micro is able to identify malware based solely on how it acts, an important feature that can potentially stop brand-new malware, it isn't all that good at it.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 did manage to avoid falsely labelling any benign files as dangerous, and it performed well in disinfection tests, where it successfully disabled all 10 malware infections. But its tortoiselike scan speeds were the slowest among the apps we tested. Data throughput for automatic scans, which happen behind-the-scenes when you open or save a file, was only 6.2MB per second.
Trend Micro Antivirus + Antispyware 2010 is user-friendly, with helpful documentation, a well-organised user interface, and clear descriptions for most elements. But Trend Micro's seriously misguided attempt to over-automate the interface nullifies the aforementioned strong points.
When Trend finds a threat, its default behaviour is to delete or quarantine the file without warning users of any activity. So you might end up repeatedly trying to download a file, unaware that your hard drive is being defended from a threat. At worst, you might understandably try to download and install the file on another PC, thereby infecting it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTMidrange Application Developer (.Net)ACT
- FTBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT
- FTPMO Lead, Project Delivery PracticeNSW
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- FTSecurity Consultant -10056987-001VIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- TPSoftware Licensing SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCCitrix SpecialistNSW
- TPIT Service ManagerNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- TPProject/Deployment ManagerQLD
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT