Transcend StoreJet 25M-R
A shockproof external hard drive built to military standards.
- Shockproof casing, fast
- StoreJet Elite software is slightly bloated
For a portable hard drive that can survive a few knocks, Transcend's StoreJet 25M-R is a great option. This is complemented by fast transfer speeds, though the accompanying software isn't entirely useful.
Price$ 159.95 (AUD)
Bearing the US Army's seal of approval, the Transcend StoreJet 25M-R portable hard drive boasts good speeds and shockproof casing to protect it from the rigours of travel.
The Transcend StoreJet 25M-R doesn't have the elegant styling of the Western Digital My Passport range but instead keeps things simple. The casing is made from plastic, housing the drive, a USB 2.0 connection and one-touch backup button. Most of the drive is encased in a replaceable rubber skin to prevent scratches or damage to the casing itself.
Allegedly built to U.S. Military Drop Test Standards, the 2.5in hard drive in the Transcend StoreJet 25M-R is enclosed in a shockproof casing. This is the biggest difference between the StoreJet 25M-R and most other portable hard drives.
The transfer speeds of the StoreJet 25M-R external hard drive are among the fastest we have seen. Transferring 19.4GB of large files between the 320GB portable hard drive and a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS), the StoreJet 25M-R manages a write speed of 24.3 megabytes per second and a read speed of 28.5MBps. Copying the same set of files from one area on the drive to another yielded a speed of 11.9MBps.
Copying 3GB worth of identical 1MB files to the drive showed slower results but it still managed reasonable speeds. The StoreJet 25M-R wrote at 15.3MBps, read at 23.8MBps and copied the data from one area of the drive to another at 7.2MBps. These speeds are slower than those witnessed during the 19.4GB large file test due to the increased file operations, but the StoreJet 25M-R is still faster in this test than the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus.
Transcend provides its own formatting utility with the StoreJet 25M-R, though this doesn't do anything more than the utility already available in Windows. StoreJet Elite allows you to configure the physical one-touch backup button, as well as providing backup settings that allows you to store personal user information including e-mail accounts, browser bookmarks and user-specific My Documents folders. However, there are less useful functions like ZIP file encryption and private browsing shortcuts for Firefox and Internet Explorer — frankly, we'd prefer compartmentalised software to suit these specific needs rather than a bloated all-in-one solution.
If you're after a fast portable hard drive with protection against the hard knocks of daily use, Transcend's StoreJet 25M-R works well, even if it doesn't have the style and polished software of competitors.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- CCTest Analysts - MainframeACT
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA