The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY is a DVD upscaler that delivers great image quality.
- Very good at upscaling DVDs
- Only half the price of an entry-level Blu-ray player with built-in DVD upscaler, no analog 7.1-channel audio outputs
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY provides excellent DVD upscaling for high-definition TVs. However, make sure you're certain that you don't want to fork out a bit more for a Blu-ray player instead.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY upscales 480i/p standard DVDs and does so brilliantly. If you've got a large screen television, want to breathe some life into your DVD collection and are trying to avoid the Blu-ray leap, this device is well worth considering.
Once upon a time, DVD image quality was enough to blow everyone's socks off, but now Full HD LCD and plasma screens are becoming more popular and the format is beginning to show its age.
Fortunately, thanks to DVD upscalers built into many Blu-ray players like the LG BD300 ageing disc collections have been given a new lease on life. Although the picture quality is not as crystal-clear as Blu-ray titles, upscaling brings the number of artefacts and the level of image noise down to a more acceptable level on large high-resolution screens.
From the outside, the Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY looks like many other DVD players — a sleek black fascia with an integrated LCD screen and controls. But this unit is designed to take standard DVDs and improve the image produced to be suitable for screens with 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions.
In the fast-paced lobby scene of The Matrix, we noticed a vast improvement in the image quality on our 46in Sharp LC-46D85X LCD TV. Details that would have otherwise been hidden are brought out and image noise is kept to a minimum. Although the occasional artefact was visible and there was some sporadic jaggedness on edges, the image quality was excellent and the upscaling was clearly superior to that of the Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player.
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY is also capable of handling Dolby Digital and DTS-HD outputted in a bitstream format. Although it lacks both 5.1 and 7.1-channel analog outputs, the HDMI output can handle 7.1-channel surround sound and a digital optical out port capable of providing 5.1-channel sound is provided. Analog/stereo RCA connections are also provided, along with component video in/out and a coaxial audio port.
Although the Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY might have been a sensible purchase just a few months ago, Blu-ray player manufacturers have been falling over themselves trying to offer high-quality entry-level devices that are capable of upscaling DVDs. While this unit does the task slightly better than most, you should seriously consider purchasing a BD-player instead.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Draytek Vigor 2952 SMB router overview
- 5 Best Australian smartphone deals
- How the Virtual Data Room is boosting Mergers and Acquisitions
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Book, a Windows 10 tablet aimed at the Surface-curious
- HP’s Pro x2 convertible takes on the iPad with vertical accessories
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- CCAzure Architect/ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA