Toshiba Tecra A7
- Cheap, Powerful
- Nothing of note
Phenomenal performance for its price, yet it still has all the features to justify it as a powerful, secure and durable business machine.
Price$ 2,420.00 (AUD)
The Tecra A7 is a well-featured, desktop replacement notebook featuring Intel's Core Duo T2300 dual-core processor and a 15.4in screen. It has a fairly small footprint of 360 x 267 x 36.8 mm and weighs a light 2.8kgs, making it very mobile. The Tecra's specifications are powerful and its price is affordable - it's the first Centrino Duo notebook to feature in the sub-$2500 notebook chart.
Performance wise, running PC WorldBench 5 and 3DMark 2001SE it delivered the highest scores in its price category (86 and 12899 respectively). Running the game FEAR, it averaged 21fps on high graphics settings, and 48fps when detail settings were optimised.
The Tecra's build is very sturdy and includes a spill-resistant keyboard. Motion sensors on the hard drive are able to return the drive heads to a parked position in periods of erratic movement. Biometric security has also been implemented through a fingerprint scanner, and the Trusted Protection Module (TPM) (available on this model) can be implemented for improved security in corporate environments. Add in Toshiba's assist management software, and you can easily manage the notebook's features.
The Tecra A7 is missing a webcam and a built-in microphone. While these are becoming common features in notebook PCs, the Tecra A7's security and build quality make up for this omission.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
- Guess how much HP sold its gold- and diamond-encrusted laptops for?
- No Play Store for old Chromebooks
- Google is bringing Android apps to Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCIBM Sterling Developer + IBM Sterling Team LeaderNSW
- FTSharepoint Developer - O365NSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Software EngineerACT
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTSOA Tech LeadNSW
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC